Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Steam & Excursion > Great Oregon Steam Up

Date: 07/27/14 05:55
Great Oregon Steam Up
Author: jdb

The annual steam up at Powerland north of Salem is underway this weekend and next weekend. Located on the west side of I-5 at exit 263, just west of May Trucking.

Here are a few pics from last year. Looks like everything here is operating again this year. I gave out before I covered the entire place. Tractors (steam and gas), SP steam crane, sawmill, models, blacksmith, Cat museum, chain saws, cars, trolley......

jb

Date: 07/27/14 05:58
Re: Great Oregon Steam Up

,,,and three more.

jb

Date: 07/27/14 07:18
Author: africansteam

Great information. I was not aware of this event. Thanks for the post!

Cheers,
Jack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/14 09:15 by africansteam.

Date: 07/27/14 07:21
Author: BAB

This doesent even show a 1/10th of what is there either, a steam operated saw mill that operates, thrashing using a steam tractor, miniature hand made steam engines. Every day at noon the blow all of the whistles. The list goes on been there saw and left amazed.

Date: 07/27/14 09:59
Author: patd3985

And let's not forget the steam powered "walking beam" engine that is used to make fresh ice cream! I usually attend every year, but can't make it this year. It sure is a full day of fun!

Date: 07/27/14 20:35
Author: truxtrax

Is the station a copy or an original SP?
If it's an SP, where was it originally?

Larry Dodgion
Wilsonville, OR

Date: 07/27/14 22:02
Author: wp1801

The depot at Brooks is a suggestion of an SP depot. Not very authentic.

Date: 07/28/14 06:38
Author: BAB

wp1801 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The depot at Brooks is a suggestion of an SP
> depot. Not very authentic.

Could be it never was supposed to be a board by board replica either. Looks great to me as is.

Date: 07/28/14 06:55

http://www.antiquepowerland.com/html/museum_partners.html

Take a look here.

This building isn't but the Brooks Historical Society building is housed in the SP Brooks station that has been moved to the property.

jb

Date: 07/28/14 10:18
Author: Narniaman

I've come to the conclusion that this is actually a world-class museum. . .

Besides the exhibits already mentioned, there is an antique truck (think semi-truck) museum with a huge collection of vehicles form the 1910's onward. . .a antique car and motorcycle museum . . . .and an incredible number of operating antique engines. For instance -- have you ever seen an operating two-cylinder 200 horsepower gas engine -- that weighs 40,000 pounds and ran for months at a time pumping water? You can see it at the Antique Powerland Great Oregon Steam-up.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/28/14 12:21
Author: wingomann

This was a lot of fun.
The steam sawmill in operation was one of the highlights for me. I have spent my whole life seeing lumber loads on freight cars but never really knew the steps required to turn a log into finished lumber. I had a good idea of the steps but it was great to actually see the wood go from a log on the carrage to finished lumber.
Seeing the SP steam crane in operation was very cool. One of the main reasons I went to the steamup. But watching it was a very short part of the day - there was so much more to see.
The mid-day "Parade of Power" was an amazing array of restored tractors ranging from steam era to semi-modern. I have seen steam tractors operating before but how about seeing them in a tractor pull? Two of them showed their stuff and it was as different as seeing a steam locomotive fired up and sitting (like a railfair) to seeing it pull a grade.
The array of other power on display and operating made a full day of fun. I highly recommend visiting.

Date: 07/31/14 07:51

Here are three autos that I enjoyed looking at this year.

jb

Date: 07/31/14 07:57

And three rail related. These have been here for a few years. The caboose has a history note on it and says that one truck has UP cast on it. Nobody seems to know why......

jb

Date: 07/31/14 10:19
Author: TCnR

Interesting, I've been meaning to visit during the Steam-up, the Steam crane looks great. The Flanger and Plow are looking in good shape.

Here's a couple of photos of them in storage during the 80's:

SPMW 328

http://www.pbase.com/clivew/image/120434712

modified Jordan Spreader, it seems to have the frame and posts of a Jordan anyways:

http://www.pbase.com/clivew/image/129675395

Date: 07/31/14 13:43
Author: nycman

Now I know where the Philomath CofC caboose disappeared to. Thanks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds