Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Steam & Excursion > ATSF 3751 in 1976

Date: 07/31/14 12:57
ATSF 3751 in 1976
Author: Spikes

My photo at Viaduct Park, San Bernardino, where 3751 was a lawn decoration for 28 years.
Now rests operable in the Los Angeles Amtrak Facility.

Date: 07/31/14 13:57
Re: ATSF 3751 in 1976
Author: Frisco1522

What is it about a display engine that brings out the morons with the white paint and brush?

Date: 07/31/14 15:02
Author: NWClassJ

I don't get it either, they go crazy with the crap slinging it everywhere. Nice photo of her just the same...thnx.

Date: 07/31/14 18:05
Author: DWDebs/2472

Charlie Heimerdinger (sp?) taught me this lesson 36 years ago: Display locomotives & railroad cars that look cared for, suffer far less vandalism than ones that look like nobody cares.

White tires, a silver smokebox front, and gloss black paint look good without being grossly non-authentic. Many railroads added these details for special events in the 1920s. So they're not a bad idea that helps preserve the locomotive.

- Doug Debs

Date: 07/31/14 19:06
Author: lwilton

I might also add that that is a well-done paint job. No rust, runs, splotches, or paint half-over the edge onto something else.

The kids added pinstripes to the paint on Daddy's car when they inherited it in the 1950s. I don't see any reason they shouldn't be allowed to add pinstripes and flames to daddy's old used steam engine when they inherit it either.

Hum, that's an idea... A restored cab forward with pinstripes, flames, tuck and roll, and dingle balls in the windows. Maybe a metallic orange shading to purple...

Date: 07/31/14 19:20
Author: JimBaker

Many roads painted rods and valve gear to indicate cracks.
Santa Fe was one, Southern Pacific among others.

--Jim Baker

Date: 07/31/14 19:38
Author: HotWater

JimBaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Many roads painted rods and valve gear to indicate
> cracks.
> Santa Fe was one, Southern Pacific among others.
>
> --Jim Baker

I believe you will find that was "white wash", and NOT paint. Paint on the rods and valve gear components would actually hid any cracks.

Date: 07/31/14 21:43
Author: Evan_Werkema

HotWater Wrote:
> JimBaker Wrote:

> > Many roads painted rods and valve gear to
> > indicate cracks.
> > Santa Fe was one, Southern Pacific among others.

> I believe you will find that was "white wash", and
> NOT paint. Paint on the rods and valve gear
> components would actually hid any cracks.

My understanding is that Santa Fe did crack testing with "Magnaflux," which shows up as white in black and white photos. In terms of locomotive decoration, however, the Santa Fe "Rules Governing the Painting, Cleaning, Fumigating, and Sanitation of Passenger, Freight, and Work Equipment Cars and Locomotives" quoted on p.22 of Kistler's Santa Fe Railway Steam Locomotive Painting, Lettering, and Detail Guide for Model Railroaders calls for "Grey Enamel No.50" on the side rods.

In practice, some shops appear to have painted the rods black, and former shop workers also recall white being used periodically.

Date: 08/01/14 07:09
Author: ajax247

lwilton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Hum, that's an idea... A restored cab forward with
> pinstripes, flames, tuck and roll, and dingle
> balls in the windows. Maybe a metallic orange
> shading to purple...

Love it!!

Date: 08/01/14 10:50
Author: UP25198

Moron you say. Here is the achievement of my lifetime, looking sharp and squared away under steam. This is the best she ever looked, unlike her current appearence of dull black. Why yes, one of the first things I did ages ago was to repaint the tires. Used latex paint from home. It rained, and really looked crappy. Went back and re did it. And so went the next 15 years of my life until we brought her back to life. Kind of amazing what some of us morons can do.

Date: 08/01/14 18:04
Author: SoCalCynic

Somebody call Danny "The Count" in Las Vegas from Counting Cars.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0559 seconds