Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Steam & Excursion > Strasburg RR Hostling Tour

Date: 08/10/14 19:38
Strasburg RR Hostling Tour
Author: Tominde

The Strasburg RR now offers a hostling tour. It is conducted twice a week, Monday and Friday morning, 3 hours before the first train departure. (tour time = 8 AM summer) You must call for reservations. I did a Friday tour which has the benefits of watching a cold engine (475)be fired up for the weekend.

The Hostling tour is conducted by a tour guide. There were 5 of us on the tour. The guide explains all of the details of what is going on and answers lots of follow on questions. The presentation is pretty basic but the questions can be much more detailed. This tour is ideal for young steam enthusiast but certainly has plenty to offer for the veterans. There is time up in the cabs while the engines are standing still. There is no hands on experience.

#90 was the engine being serviced. The fire had been banked overnight and she still had 150 lbs pressure in the morning. After servicing and starting the air pump, the engine backs out under her own power. #475 was towed out to start the fire.

Photos may be a little bit challenging due to clearance and people working or watching. . Lighting is challenge, early morning, as the engines face west. Our tour guide is a college student who has been at Strasburg since high school days. He also works as a hostler and as most Strasburg employees does multiple job assignments. He was very knowledgeable and an excellent public speaker.

The tour last about 2 hours +/- and cost $30. I recommend it and give it 4 toots out of 5.

#1 The Hostler at work.
#2 Our tour guide.

The Hostler Tour Video.....tough to edit it all down to about 5 minutes.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/10/14 23:22
Re: Strasburg RR Hostling Tour
Author: poffcapt

Very nice, and that equipment looks beautifully maintained. Thanks.

Date: 08/11/14 06:31
Author: YG

Compliments to Strasburg for coming up with another way to bring in people interested in steam and a little revenue as well. This might be an idea for other steam operators.

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 08/15/14 16:00
Author: Chooch

Wonderful, absolutely wonderful. I certainly miss living in Central PA again. Thanks much for the memories.

Jim

Date: 08/18/14 18:08
Author: pt199

Fabulous video...Mind sharing with me the software you used to put this together?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0529 seconds