Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Steam & Excursion > An Engine With Many Years Service In The Pacific NW!

Date: 08/21/14 04:23
An Engine With Many Years Service In The Pacific NW!
Author: LoggerHogger

This 1907 product of ALCO's Manchester Locomotive Works should be familiar to many on this board. Her obvious Northern Pacific heritage does not depend on the lettering on her tender. It is clearly present in her design as well.

This 0-6-0, NP #1070, was one of the very last NP steam locomotives to operate West of the Cascades. She even spent some time working for Simpson Timber at their plant in McCleary, Washington before starting years of storage in Seattle and later in Snoqualmie.

Finally the Culp Brothers had her shipped to their Lake Whatcom Railway in Wickersham, WA where she was again returned to steam as we see here in this 1980 photo. She was the main motive power on this line for decades until the need for mechanical repairs side-lined her several years ago.

So many of us have seen and ridden behind her in the many years after her restoration that we can only hope that future generations will be given the same opportunity some day.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/14 04:32 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 08/21/14 15:07
Re: An Engine With Many Years Service In The Pacific NW
Author: Waybiller

I have very fond memories of the 1070. The only steam locomotive I've ever fired, I can see how caring and feeding a locomotive like that can bond you to it.

Has a model ever been made of this class?

Date: 08/22/14 01:47
Re: An Engine With Many Years Service In The Pacific NW
Author: Finderskeepers

>
> Has a model ever been made of this class?

Yes, by at least two manufacturers, W&R and PFM
http://www.brasstrains.com/classic/Product/Detail/034535/HO-W-R-NP-Northern-Pacific-0-6-0-L-9-1070-Oil-Tender

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds