Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Steam & Excursion > Excursions on the former Virginian.

Date: 08/23/14 19:37
Excursions on the former Virginian.
Author: NKP779

All the anticipation about the 4501 makes me think about one of its best outings. In 1972 I got to ride a one way Independence Limited excursion with the SOU 4501 from Cincinnati to Williamson one day followed the next day by Williamson-Gilbert-Elmore-Princeton-Roanoke. The 4501 got help on Clark Summit grade. The Glen Lyn bridge was still standing but the VGN traffic had recently been rerouted onto the N&W east of there through Narrows.

A couple years later two of the last Virginian Trainmasters pulled a trip from Roanoke to Elmore/Mullens. (Missed that one.)

Have there ever been any other public excursions on the line or any that went north to Deepwater?

Date: 08/24/14 07:38
Re: Excursions on the former Virginian.
Author: johnacraft

NKP779 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have there ever been any other public excursions
> on the line or any that went north to Deepwater?

I am not aware of any steam excursions using the Virginian west of Narrows other than that trip.

4501 returned to Roanoke from Bluefield on the Virginian in October 1970, and 611 did so as well several times. I seem to recall 611 ran west on this segment once as well.

There were a few occasions when steam excursions operated between Roanoke and Altavista.

I'm not aware of any steam operations east of Altavista.

Date: 08/24/14 15:57
Re: Excursions on the former Virginian.
Author: JOHNY5ALIVE

I remember a trip with 611 from Norfolk to Lynchburg to Altavista and back to Norfolk via the Virginian to Albeine. Long trip had to be in the late 80's because the car we were riding in had no a/c and no working lights. There was no power car. Made for a dark and scary ride.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds