Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Steam & Excursion > A Little Engine With A Big History -Boca & Loyalton #1!

Date: 08/24/14 05:53
A Little Engine With A Big History -Boca & Loyalton #1!
Author: LoggerHogger

Back in September 1937 San Francisco railfan Bert Ward set out to track down a very interesting locomotive that he heard was hiding in a rock quarry near Oroville, California. Here is what he found.

Built by Baldwin in 1882 this 0-4-4T started life as a Vauclain Compound engine for the Chicago South Side Elevated RR. She later was sold to the Boca & Loyalton Railroad of Loyalton, CA. While at the B&L, she was used in the construction of the Western Pacific Railroad in the Feather River Region of California. This is why Bert set out to find her.

In 1912 she was sold to the Natomas Consolidated Co. becoming their #2 for use in their Oroville, CA gravel plant. Bert caught up to her just weeks before she went to scrap. I for one, am glad he took the time to get this photo of this historic little locomotive.

Martin

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/14 06:04 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 08/24/14 10:24
Re: A Little Engine With A Big History -Boca & Loyalton
Author: px320

Bert Ward captured images of a number of obscure locomotives. His work is appreciated.

Date: 08/24/14 10:35
Author: JimBaker

Can anyone explain the initials 'R.A.S.' after the B & L for Boca & Loyalton ?

==Jim Baker

Date: 08/24/14 11:39
Author: zephyrus

JimBaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can anyone explain the initials 'R.A.S.' after the
> B & L for Boca & Loyalton ?
>
> ==Jim Baker

I believe what we're seeing there are two sets of lettering weathering together. The tank was lettered "B&LRR" on the Boca and Loyalton, then I suspect it was lettered "NATOMAS". What is left is the B&LR from the Boca lettering and the AS from NATOMAS.

I want to thank Martin, by the way. Last weekend I did a presentation on the Boca and Loyalton and he graciously sent me digital scans of several photos for it. One was this image of B&L #1. For the roster folks, here is what I have found concerning this engine:

Boca and Loyalton 1

type: 0-4-4T
builder: Baldwin
works: Philadelphia
year: 1892
builder #: 13001
driver diameter: 41½”
cylinders: 7½”X15”X16”
boiler pressure: 160#
tractive effort: 7,700#
fuel: oil
weight: 26 tons

A Forney-type Vaulcain Compound. Built for the Chicago and South Side Rapid Transit, the first elevated railroad in Chicago. Numbered SSRT 27, it was one of 46 similar locomotives built for the railroad. Retired and sold when the line electrified in 1898. Not sure where it was between 1898 and sale to B&L in 1900 / 1901, or if retirement date and sell date are different.

Engine was used in construction service on the WP. Sold April 1912 to Natomas Consolidated Company 2 for service at a gravel plant in Oroville, CA. Scrapped in 1937.

This engine was actually the newest locomotive owned by the B&L, but also the least powerful. Suspect that it was just used for switching, probably in Loyalton.

At least one source shows B&L 1 as being sold to the Quincy Western as their 1 circa 1908, however this is likely a mistake and QW 1 is a similar locomotive.

Z

Date: 08/24/14 11:51
Author: JimBaker

Thanks, Zeph,

Sounds plausible and I will take it.

--Jim Baker

Date: 08/24/14 14:39
Author: SR-RL_Nr_10

Somewhere in this line of brand new engines is the future B&L Nr 1:

(From "The Locomotives That Baldwin Built" by Fred Westing)

Date: 08/24/14 20:33
Author: zephyrus

SR-RL_Nr_10 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Somewhere in this line of brand new engines is the
> future B&L Nr 1:
>
> (From "The Locomotives That Baldwin Built" by Fred
> Westing)

Wow! What a cool shot. Never considered a unit train of those little critters before.

You're welcome, Jim!

Z

Date: 08/25/14 04:33
Author: LoggerHogger

That is a very cool shot. It is amazing how many engines that one elevated railroad would order at one time!

Martin

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0584 seconds