Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Steam & Excursion > DRGW K37 #491 in service at Golden Co today

Date: 08/29/14 22:50
DRGW K37 #491 in service at Golden Co today
Author: Grande-Fan

The Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden Colorado held a roll out party for the Rio Grande K37 #491 on August 29th 2014.
They have been working on this locomotive since 2013 after they acquired true ownership from the Colorado Historical Society.
Although the weather wasn't perfect it was awesome to finally see a K37 in action, I missed out seeing the 497 operate on the D&S and the C&TS.

The event included a BBQ supper and as many rides around the loop you could stand.

If everything shakes down with the 491 it will be used for the upcoming special events that are planned.

Photography wise, around the loop there are a couple locations that work well for hiding people and other items around the property.
The first shot is near the No Agua water tank, the second shot is south of the round house and the third shows the 491 exhaling a nice plume of
smoke as it departed the passenger boarding area southwest of the depot.

I sure hope to see the 491 in service this Fall, they're doing a great job restoring her.

Nathan Z
Colorado Springs, CO

Date: 08/30/14 07:32
Re: DRGW K37 #491 in service at Golden Co today
Author: LoggerHogger

Nice photos. Thanks for the post.

Martin

Date: 08/30/14 08:01
Author: Topfuel

My understanding is that this engine really wasn't overhauled as one might expect. They basically did an inspection, decided it was in pretty good shape, filled it with water and lit the fire. How common is it in the year 2014 to be able to pull that off?

Date: 08/30/14 08:43
Author: Jbarton

The volunteers and staff, with a lot of hard work in a short period of time, did an AMAZING job on 491. Its incredible to to have a K37 back in steam. Who would have thought of all the 490's, this would be the one back in service. There's still more work to be done on her, but a great day for the museum.

Thanks for looking.

Jim Barton

First photo. This is how we always thought 491 would look, stuffed, mounted, and not connected to the main line.

Date: 08/30/14 08:52
Author: Jbarton

A few more.

How many eras of railroading in the first photo?

Jim Barton

Date: 08/30/14 11:40
Author: YG

She looks good!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 09/01/14 08:57
Author: SR_Krause

I don't recall where I read it, so I may have this incorrect.....

CSRM operates, I believe, under Colorado State boiler rules which are slightly different than FRA rules. So they may have received boiler approval without having to do a 1352 day FRA overhaul of the boiler, which includes tubes. The boiler would have been inspected by a state inspector instead of an FRA inspector.

But I really don't know anything for certain. CSRM has an excellent shop and a fantastic collection in a tiny space, I don't believe they would be cutting corners.

SRK

Topfuel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My understanding is that this engine really wasn't
> overhauled as one might expect. They basically
> did an inspection, decided it was in pretty good
> shape, filled it with water and lit the fire. How
> common is it in the year 2014 to be able to pull
> that off?

Steve Krause
Chillicothe, IL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0615 seconds