Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Steam & Excursion > When UP Steam & MILW Electrics Get Signals Crossed!

Date: 08/31/14 04:26
When UP Steam & MILW Electrics Get Signals Crossed!
Author: LoggerHogger

Railroading has always been a dangerous business. The safety of railroad crews depends on accurate train orders being given and, more importantly, followed. Here is the result when the latter does not occur.

It had been a foggy morning in the railroad yards at Auburn, Washington on this day in the late 1930's. The yard held track for Union Pacific, Milwaukee, and Northern Pacific. The train orders for UP #2166 told the crew they were to clear the mainline by heading INTO a siding. Unfortunately the crew mis-read the orders and decided to pass the siding switch and BACK their whole train in. That left them in the path of fast approaching MILW E-68 and her train with the results we see here.

The railroad officials have gathered to assess the damage and to see how this can be prevented in the future.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/14 04:35 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 08/31/14 04:50
Re: When UP Steam & MILW Electrics Get Signals Crossed!
Author: TonyJ

This may be the first photo I've seen of a oollision of steam locomotive and a large electric. Thanks for digging that one out.

Date: 08/31/14 05:01
Author: alco636

Great photo, thanks for sharing. The box cabs carbodies are pushed up against each other! I wonder if the drawbar between them broke? I hope everyone made it out ok.

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/14 05:05 by alco636.

Date: 08/31/14 12:30
Author: Labby

Assuming this is all Yard Limits.

Date: 08/31/14 15:55
Author: rob_l

Not really "yards" at Auburn (two sidings, a house track and some customer spurs). There were yard limits, but the main line through town was 65 MPH ABS territory. Somebody overran the meet.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 08/31/14 21:13
Author: up3985

Do you have any photos of steam era (steam locomotive) train/automobile crashes at grade crossings?

Date: 08/31/14 21:19
Author: LarryDoyle

alco636 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photo, thanks for sharing. The box cabs
> carbodies are pushed up against each other! I
> wonder if the drawbar between them broke? I hope
> everyone made it out ok.

Here's the coupling between units. Hard to imagine it could have collapsed, but.... perhaps?

The steam engine also appears to have received some shortening in the distance between the engine and tender.

Perhaps, the box cab was knocked off center on its leading truck, causing the closeness of the two units on the left side.

-John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/14 21:24 by LarryDoyle.

Date: 09/01/14 03:32
Author: alco636

I agree John. Thank you for sharing your photo.

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 09/01/14 15:30
Author: GMUP

2166 was involved in a 1947 accident that resulted in its retirement and scapping.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0516 seconds