Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Steam & Excursion > What Excursions would you enjoy having again?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/20/14 12:11
What Excursions would you enjoy having again?
Author: ClubCar

Someone asked on another thread what 3 railroads would you like to be able to have once again?
My question is What Rail Excursion trains would you enjoy having once again?
Living here in a suburb of Baltimore, we have NO excursions what so ever around here. No organization operates anything today because CSX does not want to run any, Norfolk Southern only operates via Trackage Rights on Amtrak, and Amtrak is very expensive and goes over the NE corridor where one can ride a train any time.
In the old days we had several fall trains on the B&O the "Autumn Glory Specials" and on the Western Maryland we had fall trips too, usually sponsored by either the Baltimore Chapter NRHS or by RailRoad Passenger Cars (RRP). Now these are only memories. Comments?

Date: 09/20/14 13:32
Re: What Excursions would you enjoy having again?
Author: spnudge

Mallet from Oakland to Reno & return but this time you would be allowed a cab ride.

Nudge

Date: 09/20/14 13:36
Author: HotWater

As a ticket holder, I will never forget the Reading Iron Horse Rambles, especially the first one with #2124.

Date: 09/20/14 13:39
Author: Emmo213

I'd buy a ticket right now if there was steam pulling The New River Train again.

Date: 09/20/14 13:52
Author: flash34

765 on the New River Train, or anything behind the 1218.

Date: 09/20/14 14:30
Author: PeaBock619

A trip with an all Daylight consist pulled by SP 4449 or SP 2472 from Los Angeles to San Francisco and/or Portland.

Date: 09/20/14 14:43
Author: zephyrus

Of ones I personally rode, I would love to ride the Oregon Pacific and Eastern again.

Historic? One of the SP Specials over the Santa Cruz Mountains or any of the WP steam or circus train trips. The excursion in 1952 from Oakland over Altamont and then down the Tidewater Southern to Turlock behind 2-6-2 TS 132 would be awesome.

Z

Date: 09/20/14 15:44
Author: Keystone1

The best post steam fan trip that I was ever on was the 1987 NRHS Convention in Roanoke with the 611 on the passenger train and the 1218 on a coal train, playing with each other on parallel tracks. I got some dynamite 16mm movies of the 1218, side by side with 611, and from out the coach window side by side with 1218. Then multiple side by side photo runs of the two. Next, would come the UP trips with the 3985 wearing elephant ears, and changing her road number and front number plates all around, 3 times during the weekend. Finally, I would salute the Southern/N&W for some spectacular steam conventions. Finally, the steam doubleheader to the Grand Canyon with Santa Fe 4-8-4 #3751 and C B&Q #4960. Some nice doubleheading there. Lastly, I want to recommend the plandampfs in Germany. Steam put on regular timetabled trains for up to a week. Diagramed steam. Pacifics, Mikadoes, Prairies, Decapods. You know precisely where an engine will be, or at any choice location for pictures. Hey, just read the timetable! And these trips ran well into the night!

Date: 09/20/14 16:05
Author: steamfan759

NKP 759 on the point from Hoboken to Binghamton on Saturday over the old Erie line. Layover at Binghamton on Saturday night. Sunday would be from Binghamton through Scranton and back to Hoboken over the cutoff on the old DL&W line. Those were the days that we will never see again, but I am glad that I went when I could many years ago!!!

Date: 09/20/14 16:36
Author: SR2

The Annual Mining Engineers specials made possible by the Lake Superior Railroad
Museum and the iron hauling railroads of Northern Minnesota. They were spectacular
trips with outstanding people.

Date: 09/20/14 16:53
Author: jo-tower

GTW 5629 from Chicago to Durand, Michigan with 4 cars. We left Chicago
ahead of #158 had a movie run at Climax, Michigan. Then we backed over
to the west-bound main to let #158 run around us. We were on #158's
block all the way into Battle Creek. What a ride!!!! For you youngsters
on this board, this was in the fall of 1968.
CJV in Aurora

Date: 09/20/14 18:54
Author: locorph

Definitely NKP 765 on the New River Train. Second would be N & W 611 from Rocky River, Ohio to Columbus, Ohio.

Date: 09/20/14 19:07
Author: NS19K

765 on the New River train would be my vote too. I was born too late to see it.

Date: 09/20/14 19:35
Author: UP951West

I'd enjoy ANY of the UP excursions in the Steve Lee era once again !

Date: 09/20/14 20:03
Author: RuleG

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Living here in a suburb of Baltimore, we have NO
> excursions what so ever around here. No
> organization operates anything today because CSX
> does not want to run any, Norfolk Southern only
> operates via Trackage Rights on Amtrak, and Amtrak
> is very expensive and goes over the NE corridor
> where one can ride a train any time.
> In the old days we had several fall trains on the
> B&O the "Autumn Glory Specials" and on the Western
> Maryland we had fall trips too, usually sponsored
> by either the Baltimore Chapter NRHS or by
> RailRoad Passenger Cars (RRP). Now these are only
> memories. Comments?

It's not as though Baltimore is the only area without train excursions. Portland, ME, Boston, Buffalo, Washington DC/Alexandria VA, Atlanta, Chicago, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and all of Canada are places which come to mind where one could board train excursions for rail enthusiasts. I can't think of any excursions in the past few years out of any of these areas.

2014 has been a particularly scarce year for train for excursions. I passed on NS's Spring and Summer steam excursions assuming that excursions closer to where I live would be operated in Fall.

Now to answer your question.

1) GG1 4985 on the Columbia & Port Deposit Line
2) Canadian National 6218 in Quebec or Ontario
3) Chessie System/CSX Cumberland to Oakland or Grafton.
4) Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range "circle trip" (Duluth, Biwabik, Eveleth and back to Duluth)
5) Galloping Goose excursion on the Rio Grande Southern
6) Any of the steam or diesel excursions operated on the Southern Pacific in California.

Date: 09/20/14 20:03
Author: hkyman16

Maryland Midland used to go from Westminster, MD to High Field. It was diesel powered but during the fall I heard that this was THE most scenic train trip of all the east coast excursions.

Date: 09/20/14 20:55
Author: rcall31060

NKP 765, Atlanta to Chattanooga and return, on the Southern Ry.

Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

Date: 09/21/14 07:17
Author: goldcoast

SP branch lines.

Date: 09/21/14 07:40
Author: Keystone1

Ok...Here's a trip I did in 1961. Erie to Chicago (diesel), CB&Q 5632 up to the DM&IR. Visited the roundhouse loaded with big steam power. 2-10-4's, 0-10-2's, 2-8-2's and of course, the entire roster of 2-8-8-4's at Proctor Shops and at Two Harbors. A circle trip behind Yellowstone #224. Photoruns, and a second 2-8-8-4 #225 passing. Next, on to the Duluth and Northeastern with their entire roster on display. There, a doubleheader with two classes of 2-8-0's. Finally, back to Chicago behind a Burlington 4-8-4. And home behind on The Broadway Limited. Not bad for a steam struck teenager.

Date: 09/21/14 09:51
Author: Wolfman

I remember Riding behind the 611 on the Wabash cannonball route on are way back to Allen park Mi, Watching the cars on I - 94 that could not keep up with the engine as she was really flying to make up time ! Great Memories of the 611 and time with my dad .

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0559 seconds