Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Steam & Excursion > Laona and Northern #4 through the Fall Foliage

Date: 09/21/14 16:08
Laona and Northern #4 through the Fall Foliage
Author: Zephyr78

Fall is no doubt making its presence known in northern Wisconsin with the trees already showing off their beautiful colors. On Saturday (Sept 20), the Lumberjack Steam Train was in full operation as part of the Fall Festival. Laona and Northern #4 operated trains between Lanoa and the Camp 5 logging camp on what was also a beautiful day.

The railroad will be operating the next two Saturdays (Sept 27 and Oct 4) before they wrap up for the season. If you have the opportunity to visit during one of those days, it's highly recommended as it's such a gem!

Luke Iverson

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/21/14 16:18
Re: Laona and Northern #4 through the Fall Foliage
Author: Keystone1

I was out there to photograph #4 about 35-40 years ago. At the time, she was pulling a mixed train and switched freight in route. Lumber I believe. Does she still haul freight?

Date: 09/22/14 08:09
Author: YG

Very nice!

The Laona & Northern is one of Wisconsin's hidden gems...

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 09/22/14 08:56
Author: Earlk

I was there a year or so ago. The mill looks to be closed now with no rail service needed. The LN trackage does exist to the interchange, but hasn't been used for many years. The only operation on the RR is the excursion train. The LN is a cool little operation. Their little 2-6-2 has spent it's entire life on the RR. That alone makes it worth seeing.

Date: 09/23/14 08:08
Author: CPengineer

One of my favorite tourist railroads. Actually, the rail to the interchange was removed several years ago, but the right-of-way is still there should anyone decide to put it back in. No. 4 actually spent a short time on the Fairchild & Northeastern, another Wisconsin logging road, before being sold to the Laona & Northern in 1926. Birmingham Rail & Locomotive brokered the sale, but I doubt the engine ever left Wisconsin - it was likely sold to LNO "as is." They've done a nice job restoring her to her 1930s-1940s appearance.

Date: 09/23/14 10:06
Author: Keystone1

I like the windmill on the cab roof!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds