Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Steam & Excursion > Milwaukee Road #261 trip Sept. 27th.

Date: 09/22/14 23:08
Milwaukee Road #261 trip Sept. 27th.
Author: 7230west

This will be our first time to see it run. Are there any nice photo locations to see it between Minneapolis and Duluth? Thank for any helpful suggestions.

Date: 09/23/14 07:28
Re: Milwaukee Road #261 trip Sept. 27th.
Author: davebb71

that's great. definitely see it off at the harrison street shops at 0900. are you chasing the whole way to duluth or just going to see it pass once or twice along the way? that will temper further explaination. dave, out.

Date: 09/23/14 07:58
Author: alco636

A decent place is the ancient St. Anthony Parkway bridge. No cars are allowed on it anymore. Have fun, be safe!

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/14 07:59 by alco636.

Date: 09/23/14 12:33
Author: chico

It would be nice to see some kind of a badge/stripe, perhaps on the cab side in small letters Judy Sandberg's name.

Just my 02. Would be a nice tribute.

Date: 09/23/14 16:37
Author: 7230west

Thanks. We plan to stay in Duluth and very much appreciate your suggestions.

Date: 09/24/14 09:06
Author: blackhillshogger

I would suggest Isanti and Cambridge area. Then there is a big bridge north of Sandstone.....lots of possibilities but you gotta study the highway maps. The farther north you go, the more scenic it is.
Be advised that traffic on weekends can be heavy.
Scope out your spots and stick with them.
Once the train gets to Duluth-Superior area, speeds for the train will drop significantly.

Date: 09/24/14 11:15

i agree with al and blackhillshogger. catch it leaving harrison street or zip up to st anthony parkway and watch it from above or go just north of 694 behind home depot or catch it at the fridley commuter station. any of those would be good catches in town. then i would get over (eastward) to central ave (hwy 65) and go north to sims road (86) or 74 south of isanti. the track is angling eastward until isanti. depending on how fast they are going, you can catch it a few times on the way to hinkley. they usually stop and grease in hinkley, so you should have some time to get to sandstone. the track between hinkley and sandstone is right along i-35, so it is not very good for chasing. in sandstone, the place to be is on hwy 123 bridge over the river, but so is everyone else. after that, head east and then north on 123 to hwy 23 follow that to askov. i haven't chased further than askov, but it looks like you could take county road 8 into wisconsin and then it turns into east county road b to hwy 35 north to superior and you're back in the twin ports. i can't speak to any road construction anywhere along the route because i have not personally traveled it lately.

please use a mapping html to follow this and please ask me with questions.

good luck and have fun and be careful, dave, out.

Date: 09/24/14 11:20
Author: missabe

To ensure future runs of the locomotive, I would suggest that you purchase a ticket.

Date: 09/24/14 11:36

sorry, sold out except for the $400 ones. dave, out.

Date: 09/24/14 12:12
Author: alco636

Donations always accepted through Friends Of The 261 if one cannot buy a ticket. It's what I'm doing.

The train speed depends on traffic. The Twin Cities is a busy place with many oil trains. We'll see what happens.

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0382 seconds