Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Steam & Excursion > After giving it a lot of thought..............

Date: 09/30/14 16:54
After giving it a lot of thought..............
Author: Frisco1522

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and have come to the conclusion that I will be a lot more excited over the fact the the C&O Mallet will be running again than the thought of the Big Boy. I know this is blasphemy to a lot of you and will probably not faze the steam Gods in Cheyenne.
For me, the reason being is that I spent a fair amount of time with the prior UP crew, was able to be a guest fireman on 3985 and 844, picked up a little throttle time on 3985 thanks to Bob Krieger and thoroughly enjoyed being with this crew. I don't know anyone on the "New" crew, although I've met Ed and rode a little way with him on the Challenger.
Starting in 1988 when I was chosen to be the CMO on 1522, I went out of my way to introduce myself to what I considered the people who were doing it every day and had been there and done that. Steve even went so far as to encourage me to call Jerry Davis and introduce myself. The SLSTA always enjoyed a terrific relationship with the UP and I know it was helped from the inside.
I treasure the friendships I made in the "industry" and even though I've been "retired" since Sept 29, 2002 still enjoy the joking and such with them.
So I will officially be cheering on the boys working on the 1309 and looking forward to seeing it run. If and when the 4014 is resurrected, I will be glad to see that also.
I'm Don Wirth and I approve this message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/14 20:25 by Frisco1522.

Date: 09/30/14 17:00
Re: After giving it a lot of thought..............
Author: andersonb109

Agreed. The Mallet will most likely run unassisted since it's a tourist line. While the Big Boy will be forced to have Mr. Diesel tucked in behind. And the Mallet should be available for photo charter work. Something Big Boy most likely will not.

Date: 09/30/14 20:20
Re: After giving it a lot of thought..............
Author: HotWater

Boy, do I agree with THAT!!!!

Date: 09/30/14 21:24
You are a good friend Don
Author: Bob3985

It was a pleasure getting to know so many of you gentlemen in the craft of operating steam, diesels and a program. I was fortunate to work for a supervisor who provided the knowledge to all of us that he learned on the road and from the many Folios he had me scan for him and the National Boiler committee. I could tell that you, Don, were a competent man and knew what you were doing so it was a pleasure to put you in the hogger's seat on my favorite locomotive. It was also good to meet the rest of the 1522 crew too and have some fire for me. Over my years there, I had several guest firemen from various crews but the one I had with me most was Jack and we had a lot of really great trips together.

I don't get to travel much anymore but when the 4014 and 844 come out I will be there to see them perform out of my fascination for steam.

Until then I remain Bob Krieger, UP Steam and Diesel Engineer retired and Don approves this message also.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/01/14 12:21
Re: You are a good friend Don
Author: Realist

I predict the 1309 will be running long before the 4014 ever does.
And 611 will beat both of them to the rail.

Each of the locomotives have been in the shop about the same amount
of time, but the WMSR people and the 611 guys are much further along
in the work already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/14 12:42 by Realist.

Date: 10/01/14 19:45
Author: Txhighballer

My prediction as to who comes out in what order:

1. 611

2. 1309

3. 2926

Date: 10/01/14 20:57
Author: Keystone1

Txhighballer, I agree 100%! But, what about the Big Boy with millions on hand to restore her? How is she coming??? Pictures anyone.

Date: 10/01/14 22:12
Author: NathanNon-Lifting

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Txhighballer, I agree 100%! But, what about the
> Big Boy with millions on hand to restore her? How
> is she coming??? Pictures anyone.

Nothing. As has been rehashed countless times.

Date: 10/02/14 01:36
Author: Realist

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Txhighballer, I agree 100%! But, what about the
> Big Boy with millions on hand to restore her? How
> is she coming??? Pictures anyone.

Nothing has been done on 4014 since early summer.
That's why it's not on anyone's list of "to be running
soon," and why there are no pictures. The only thing
done since it got the Cheyenne is that the 2 sandboxes
have been removed and some or the ashpans have been
cut out.

It's on lists of "may run someday, maybe" along with
844 and 3985.

There are only 3 or 4 people left on the crew, and they
are busy now trying to figure out how they are going to
get anything done in the shop this coming winter with
no heat and many of the lights removed. Going to be cold
and dark in there.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/14 13:12 by Realist.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0552 seconds