Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Steam & Excursion > A few more memories of the dead...from Tx.

Date: 10/23/14 15:18
A few more memories of the dead...from Tx.
Author: tx_trainman54

All three pics were taken in April of 2010. The first two were taken off the employees walkbridge at Davidson yard Ft.Worth. The third shot is Ennis Texas on the old SP line.

I was all excited back a few months ago when all the hipe of UP 4014 was the rave. Now it seems I'll be very lucky to ever see 844 run again!!! I feel that IF U.P really cared about there steam program, steps would have already been taken to correct all the BS I,ve heard (and read) about.

Date: 10/23/14 15:31
Re: A few more memories of the dead...from Tx.
Author: Keystone1

NICE! And for you guys who like this engine (like me), please take a GOOD look...no flags, no plaques, no pizza pie plates, no bunting, and black tires. THIS is the way the engine looked in regular service. So now...go ahead. Tell me that if I owned the engine, I could paint and decorate it anyway that I choose. I get all that.

Date: 10/23/14 16:25
Author: flash34

Yes, this is the way it should look: with steam coming out of it.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/23/14 17:03
Author: santafe199

Keystone1 Wrote:
> ...no flags, no plaques, no pizza pie plates, no bunting, and black tires.
> THIS is the way the engine looked in regular service.

I concur totally! I was born in the year that steam more or less died. Over the years, I've heard a few times the year '1955' was the last great year for regular steam. So from my first personal experience with live steam (in 1976) up to the last time UP actually ran something I've always wanted to look at a steam powered train and be able to fantasize that I was looking back through the years at a "regular" train. Sound is, of course most of that fantasy. But it helps when I don't have to look at a bunch of stuff resembling cheap costume jewelry. UP's patriotism is unquestioned, and the company's support of the various honorable organizations over the years is exemplary. But by the same token, I don't think Uncle Pete needs to "wear all that stuff' to prove himself. IMHO...

Lance

Date: 10/23/14 17:15
Author: Keystone1

Triple Amen.

Date: 10/23/14 17:22
Author: tx_trainman54

BIG thanks for your comments guys. I was born in 1958 so steam was long gone down here in Texas. Of the mainline steam I,ve been privledged to see, U.P 844-3985, SSW 819, TP 610, SP 4449, ATSF 5000 (stuffed & mounted)

Date: 10/23/14 20:49
Author: 3985lover

I couldn't agree with you more. Omaha just doesn't give a damn!

Date: 10/24/14 07:59
Author: Red

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NICE! And for you guys who like this engine (like
> me), please take a GOOD look...no flags, no
> plaques, no pizza pie plates, no bunting, and
> black tires. THIS is the way the engine looked in
> regular service. So now...go ahead. Tell me that
> if I owned the engine, I could paint and decorate
> it anyway that I choose. I get all that.

But, it's true: if you OWNED the engine, you could have it painted any way you wanted for it to be!!! Even "Authentically" if such were your wish. But you do not have the RIGHT to decree such since you do not "OWN" the engine, now do you? And you could even have steam coming out of it!!! Even have it run ever how you wanted it run. Even to have it run SAFELY. Or have it even run at all, buddy?!?

<grin>

Date: 10/24/14 11:42
Author: UPkid

I took this picture in May of 2011 along US 30, you can see the changes already starting to take place.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0386 seconds