Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Steam & Excursion > Restoration begins at NWRM!

Date: 10/29/14 00:50
Restoration begins at NWRM!
Author: PorterNo2

The Northwest Railway Museum steam program officially launched today with the movement of former Northern Pacific Railway steam locomotive 924 to the Conservation and Restoration Center. The 1899-built Rogers six-coupled locomotive was carefully pulled from the static exhibit track in Snoqualmie by Baldwin Lima Hamilton-built diesel-electric locomotive 4024, an RS4-TC that powers regular trains at the Museum. We will begin the rehabilitation process by harvesting boiler thicknesses and geometries to create our FRA form 4 engineering package and identify the full scope of the boiler work required to return NP 924 to service.

The curatorial steam team made quick work of the assignment, which also relocated Baldwin-built steam locomotive 14 to an accessible storage track. Canadian Collieries 14 is a 1898-built ten wheeler that will be the second locomotive to operate in the Museum's steam program. Its pre WW II wood-framed tender presented several challenges to the team, but in the end was moved without sustaining any damage. 14 is in most respects similar to 924 so many techniques developed for the 924 will be transferable. It is not expected in the Conservation and Restoration Center until locomotive 924 is substantially complete, possibly in 2016.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank all our great volunteers and staff for making this moment possible, the launch of another total steam locomotive rebuild. Now for the hard work to come!

Best,

Stathi

Efstathios I. Pappas, MS
Curator, Northwest Railway Museum

Date: 10/29/14 01:13
Re: Restoration begins at NWRM!
Author: SCPCno2

Fantastic to see the restoration project beginning. Great pix and great news!!
Keep us posted! This will be fun!

John

Date: 10/29/14 02:13
Author: Milepost_130

Great work! We can't wait to see her in steam.

Date: 10/29/14 05:17
Author: TonyJ

From your record of successful locomotive restorations I think we'll see nothing but your best work with this project. Go for it!

Date: 10/29/14 06:57
Author: Chiggen-Wing

Great work Stathi Pappas, Richard Anderson and the rest of the team!! New and exciting times for the Northwest Railway Museum in Snoqualmie. I look forward to getting up there soon!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/14 07:04 by Chiggen-Wing.

Date: 10/29/14 07:19
Author: Frisco1522

So whaddaya figure......8-10 weeks?

Date: 10/29/14 08:12
Author: Hillcrest

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So whaddaya figure......8-10 weeks?

Yeah, they'll probably have it ready by Christmas...Good Work Guys!

Cheers, Dave

P.S. Stathi, you guys have got to get "Curatorial Steam Team" T-shirts made, color indicating rank, of course...Haahahaaa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/14 15:31 by Hillcrest.

Date: 10/29/14 08:18
Author: YG

If anyone can do it, it's you and your team.

Rock on!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 10/29/14 13:58
Author: F40PHR231

Pretty exciting stuff; you and your team are doing excellent work, Stathi!

Date: 10/29/14 15:21
Author: Sasquatch

You lads make me proud to be a member! Well done PNWRM steam team...thanks for keeping us in the loop, Stathi!

-Tom

Date: 10/29/14 15:44
Author: nycman

What great news. New life for some of those long-stored steam locos in Snoqualmie. Is that John G on the left of the crew photo? I think it must be him judging from that big grin, indicating that he's back doing what he loves to do, with your team, Stathi.

Date: 10/29/14 16:27
Author: Inthehole

Stathi's already ahead on this one over Pollardville. The wheels actually move already.

Date: 10/29/14 16:44
Author: Hillcrest

nycman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What great news. New life for some of those
> long-stored steam locos in Snoqualmie. Is that
> John G on the left of the crew photo? I think it
> must be him judging from that big grin, indicating
> that he's back doing what he loves to do, with
> your team, Stathi.

It is John! Last time I saw him he was contorted, pretzel-like into the smokebox of The Chiggen...seems much taller now...

Cheers, Dave

Date: 10/29/14 17:21
Author: mikel

Going for the gusto Stathi !!! Congrats on a great start !!

Mike

Date: 10/30/14 17:14
Author: PorterNo2

Thanks to all for your kind words and support for our program! It is a rare and wonderful opportunity to be part of this team and do this work. And the good news is, we started removing tubes today!

Best,

Stathi

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/04/14 21:06
Author: Digger

Fantastic news, my friend. Is that a fern growing on top of the boiler (2nd pic)?

Chris Donhost,
Vacaville, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.076 seconds