Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Steam & Excursion > NMRA Wanted To See A Shay So This Is What They Got!

Date: 10/31/14 05:12
NMRA Wanted To See A Shay So This Is What They Got!
Author: LoggerHogger

Back in August 1952 the National Mode Railroad Association was in Portland for a convention and the SP&S treated them to a trip on the United Railways up to Vernonia. Before the trip the NMRA contacted the Oregon-American Lumber Co. that was based in Vernonia and asked for a Shay to be put on display so their members could see what one looked like.

The General Manager of O-A accepted the invitation and directed his crews to spiff up one of the company Shays and bring her to Vernonia for the display. Even though the company had several true Shay locomotives built by the Lima Locomotive works available, someone decided to paint and polish the one and only Willamette Locomotive on the O-A roster for the event. Perhaps they were proud of the fact that they had a "Shay-Type" locomotive that was built in Portland, Oregon by the Willamette Iron & Steel Works.

So, on August 23, 1952 here is the display that greeted the NMRA members when they got of the SP&S special at Vernonia. The sign board prepared by the lumber company accurately describes #106 as a "Shay-Type" locomotive and not a Shay per se. Local Portland railfan Jack Holst took this fine photo.

I have to wonder why the lumber company did not run #106 around the wye and display her geared side out to the visiting modelers.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/14 05:21 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 10/31/14 08:50
Re: NMRA Wanted To See A Shay So This Is What They Got!
Author: asheldrake

and they are coming back to Portland in 2015!!! sure wish we had a Willamette to show them again. Jack's legacy lives on. Arlen

Date: 10/31/14 09:20
Author: LoggerHogger

Arlen,

I agree, I wish they could see a Willamette like #106 again when they return. Unfortunately, this is what happened to #106 in 1957 at the close of the logging railroad out of Vernonia.

Martin

Date: 10/31/14 12:06
Author: EMDSW-1

And her remains left the property in a MILWAUKEE ROAD gon!

Dick Samuels

Date: 10/31/14 12:36
Author: penncentral74

When you publish these images of railfan trips, I am always amazed by the quality of the hand-painted signage that was provided.

I suppose this harkens back to an era where people knew what needed to be done and didn't have to be constantly egged on to do their work.

To me, this is refreshing...

Date: 10/31/14 17:59
Author: terrybaker

Only 30 years from construction to destruction (1927-1957); she was hardly broken in!

Date: 10/31/14 18:13
Author: MP4093

I noticed the big chime whistle in the scrapping photo that replaced the plain whistle in the display shot. Would sure like to have at least saved that.

Date: 10/31/14 18:13
Author: RuleG

asheldrake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and they are coming back to Portland in 2015!!!
> sure wish we had a Willamette to show them again.
> Jack's legacy lives on. Arlen

However, there is a Willamette Shay at the Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad which is the location of one of the tours being offered at the convention.

Date: 11/02/14 09:49
Author: flash34

A Willamette Shay? Uh oh...

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.037 seconds