Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Steam & Excursion > East Broad Top

Date: 11/17/14 07:07
East Broad Top
Author: m1bprr

The EBT a treasure, although it still is intact, its a shame its come to this.
Remembering the glory days.
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/17/14 07:17
Re: East Broad Top
Author: pilotblue

National Treasure is right!!!

The state of Pennsylvania is missing out on tourist dollars, prestige, historical education for the younger generation and so much more. I rode it first in the winter of 1971 in the snow, what a great experience for a 16 year old! It made me a life-long railfan.

We can hope! Thans for posting the photos and video.

Date: 11/17/14 07:44
Author: march_hare

By far the most authentic steam-era RR experience in the eastern US. The backshop tour is like Jurassic Park, but with real surviving dinosaurs, not recreations. What a shame it is in its current form.

(And yes, I've put my money where the pie hole is--two winter steam events, two photo specials, and two family visits since first discovering the place in the 1970s. And we live eight hours away by car).

Date: 11/17/14 07:52
Author: pennsy3750

pilotblue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The state of Pennsylvania is missing out on
> tourist dollars, prestige, historical education

That ship has sailed - the State of Pennsylvania made at least two attempts to buy the EBT. The Kovalchicks held out for more money, and the state called their bluff.

Date: 11/17/14 08:56
Author: andersonb109

There will be nothing left to save if these buildings aren't protected soon. We can spend billions on stupid stuff like the mating habits of worms and cell phones for people who can't afford them, but can't find a few million to save a national treasure like this. Sad.

Date: 11/17/14 20:10
Author: glibby

Both the photos and the video are excellent. Thanks for posting. What is the date of the video?

Date: 11/17/14 21:14
Author: RuleG

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There will be nothing left to save if these
> buildings aren't protected soon. We can spend
> billions on stupid stuff like the mating habits of
> worms and cell phones for people who can't afford
> them, but can't find a few million to save a
> national treasure like this. Sad.

Please cite an example of a mating worm study costing billions of dollars.

I'm one believes that biological research studies are worthwhile uses of public funds because they help us understand natural processes, evolution and impacts of human activities on ecosystems.

That said, according to Pennsy3750, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania did try to buy the EBT, but the Kovalchicks wanted more money. Do you really believe it would have been responsible for Pennsylvania to pay whatever the Kovalchick's demanded? Keep in mind that in recent years 18,000 employees in the state's education sector lost their jobs. This has nothing to do with studies of worms or cell phones.

If you think the Federal government should have provided the funding for East Broad Top, that opportunity came and went in the 1990s when money was spent on developing Steamtown instead of East Broad Top.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0395 seconds