Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Steam & Excursion > Glenbrook fired up after 89 years! NSRM Carson City NV

Date: 11/20/14 12:46
Glenbrook fired up after 89 years! NSRM Carson City NV
Author: Kimball

Wonderful news! The narrow gauge Glenbrook was fired up Weds. 11-19-14 at the NSRM in Carson City. First time in 89 years! This loco was used to haul logs up what is now the Hwy 50 route out of Glenbrook NV, to get them over to Carson City NV. Later it hauled passengers up and down the Truckee River betweem Truckee, CA, and Tahoe City, CA. Its sister "Tahoe" somehow ended up in Strasburg, PA, IIRC.
Here is a shot I took of the Glenbrook when I was in the Lake Tahoe area this summer. Logger Hogger posted some shots earlier this year too.
See you tube or their website. First posted on RYPN.

Date: 11/20/14 12:52
Re: Glenbrook fired up after 89 years! NSRM Carson Cit

Scooped by 3 minutes! If only I hadn't added this news to the Carson City thread below!

Date: 11/20/14 13:36
Author: Pullman

Kimball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonderful news! The narrow gauge Glenbrook was
> fired up Weds. 11-19-14 at the NSRM in Carson
> City. First time in 89 years! This loco was used
> to haul logs up what is now the Hwy 50 route out
> of Glenbrook NV, to get them over to Carson City
> NV. Later it hauled passengers up and down the
> Truckee River betweem Truckee, CA, and Tahoe City,
> CA. Its sister "Tahoe" somehow ended up in
> Strasburg, PA, IIRC.
> Here is a shot I took of the Glenbrook when I was
> in the Lake Tahoe area this summer. Logger Hogger
> posted some shots earlier this year too.
> See you tube or their website. First posted on
> RYPN.

The Tahoe in the State Museum in Strasburg is former Virginia and Truckee #20. It is standard gauge, a 2-6-0.

The sister locomotive to the Glenbrook was #2, Tahoe. It became Nevada County Narrow Gauge #5. It survives and is part of the collection of the Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum, in Nevada City, CA.

Date: 11/20/14 19:19
Author: GPutz

Baldwin-built V&T #20, Tahoe, is in Strasburg, PA. Gerry

Date: 11/20/14 19:53
Author: nycman

I was surprised to see the Tahoe in Strasburg. There must be a story behind that--anyone know how it ended up in Pennsylvania?

Date: 11/20/14 22:36
Author: JDLX

I saw the news of the Glenbrook last night, and thought about posting it here but missed doing so.

As per Karl Koenig's book on the Virginia & Truckee locomotives, the V&T retired the #20 in 1926 and stashed it inside the Carson City enginehouse, where it languished until 1941 when the railroad sold it to the Clifford C. Bong Construction Company, who used it to build railroads for the Army Corps of Engineers and Kaiser Steel's plant in Fontana. Bong retired it after the war but kept it on hand at their yard in Arcadia, California. In 1968 the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission bought the locomotive and moved it to Pennsylvania for preservation, probably because of its age and that it had been built in Pennsylvania.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 11/20/14 22:44
Author: cchan006

Kimball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Scooped by 3 minutes! If only I hadn't added this
> news to the Carson City thread below!

Thank you and LoggerHogger for posting the report. I'll reply to your thread since you got scooped!

When I visited last July, the museum volunteers were hoping to get the Glenbrook ready by Nevada Day (end of October), but I didn't spread that rumor to protect the innocent. Looks like they were close, and I'm glad they are doing the job right instead of trying to meet a deadline.

Date: 11/21/14 12:33

Yes, a docent during the summer stated that they were ready, but the state did not have anyone qualified to inspect a lap-seam boiler, so they were stuck for a while. I am just a visitor, I don't know how the issue was solved?

Date: 11/21/14 15:09
Author: nycman

Thank you, Jeff, for the explanation.

Date: 11/22/14 07:43
Author: 9900

What's up with the last counter weight on the Tahoe? It's different that the other two.....

Edit: after looking at pictures of the "Empire", maybe it is correct but in the wrong place? Looks like it's the middle driver on the Empire...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/14 07:45 by 9900.

Date: 11/22/14 10:12
Author: PorterNo2

No lap seam on this, it has a new barrel with buttstrap construction.

I remember a day with Chris, about ten years ago talking about SCPC 2 and glenbrook. Both needed new barrels, so we commiserated over a bottle of spaten and discussed how to go about it. Now both are in steam! Love it!

Stathi

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/24/14 17:23

Thanks everyone; it could be the docent said "riveted", and I added "lap-seam."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0529 seconds