Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Steam & Excursion > Passing of Jack Showalter

Date: 11/22/14 13:55
Passing of Jack Showalter
Author: Rivannaco

Forwarding from my friends in Richmond...many good memories.

Jack Durham Showalter, age 86, of 762 Lexington Avenue, Charlottesville, Virginia passed away Wednesday, November 12, 2014 at the University of Virginia Medical Center in Charlottesville surrounded by his family. Jack was born January 6, 1928 in Iron Gate, Virginia to the late Joseph Yount Showalter and Virginia Eliza Durham Showalter, the third of seven children. He served in the United States Army, 187th Airborne, during the occupation of Japan following World War II. Upon his return, he worked as a machinist for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad before embarking on a career as a builder/developer. Named "Builder of the Decade" for his work in the 1960's, In 1972, Jack purchased the former Hot Springs branch of the C&O Railroad north of Covington and began collecting and rebuilding antique steam locomotives and passenger cars. By 1975, with the help of master machinist and engineer W. H. Bursey of Clifton Forge and other skilled volunteers, the train began regular excursions that brought thousands of tourists to western Virginia from around the world. A decade later, Jack relocated to Western Maryland where he was instrumental in establishing a tourist railroad between Cumberland and Frostburg, Maryland. In 1992, he returned to Virginia to operate a number of mainline excursions between Charlottesville, Staunton, Clifton Forge, and Gordonsville.

A funeral Mass will be held November 28, 2014 at 2 pm at St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church, 401 Alderman Road, Charlottesville, Virginia 22903.

The family suggests memorial tributes take the form of contributions to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital, Memorial and Honor Program F, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 30105-1905 or UVA Children's Hospital, P. O. Box 800773, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908.

Date: 11/22/14 14:58
Re: Passing of Jack Showalter
Author: MontourMan

Thank you for all you the wonderful things you have done to preserve and operate steam locomotives Jack....God Bless you on your run to Eternal Happiness.

Date: 11/22/14 16:45
Author: nycman

God rest his soul. I managed to capture some stills and videos of his "Virginia Central" doubleheaded Canadian locomotives at Buffalo Gap and Staunton back in 1993.

Date: 11/22/14 17:24
Author: Keystone1

God Bless you Jack. I'll look you up when I get there...

Date: 11/23/14 02:15
Author: ClubCar

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> God Bless you Jack. I'll look you up when I get
> there...
I'll 2nd that.
I do wonder what his survivors will now do with his two steam engines, 1238 & 1286?

Date: 11/23/14 04:20
Author: co614

A gentleman, a friend and a true steam lover. Condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

Ross Rowland

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0465 seconds