Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Steam & Excursion > Whistle Storm On Missionary Ridge - Audio with Slidesho

Date: 12/14/14 08:01
Whistle Storm On Missionary Ridge - Audio with Slidesho
Author: MaryMcPherson

Edited for time from the raw 15 minute recording, this recording features Southern 4501 whistling through Rossville, Georgia, in the distance before passing the microphones working up Missionary Ridge Grade on the former Central of Georgia. Taking a cue from the late Brad Miller of Mobile Fidelity fame, I've added some ambient weather sounds to the mix.

How about that echo as she nears the base of the grade!

The recording of 4501 was made in October, with the approaching storm recorded from my garage in Illinois. Both were recorded with a Xoom H4n recorder and a pair of Shure PG-81 capacitor microphones.

A great deal of thanks goes out to the horde of fans that arrived as the recording was being made and, recognizing that sound recording was underway, were nearly dead silent as they formed a photo line. I expected edit room floor material when I set up the sound gear... sometimes it's GREAT to be wrong!

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/14/14 08:41
Re: Whistle Storm On Missionary Ridge - Audio with Slid
Author: tomstp

That's just pretty doggone neat.

Date: 12/14/14 08:45
Author: zoohogger

Very NIce!!!, Brad, Uh, I mean Mary.
I grew up with Mobile Fidelity LPs and you did a fine job here. I am always concerned when a group (more than 1) show up at my recording spot. I usually try to hide in the trees on the non-sun side. It's good to hear that you found some considerate types. Thanks to all who see the microphones and know how to stay still.
That is a beautiful whistle for the far off echos. It's great to have the 4501 available again. Some day I will get to see it in person.

Date: 12/14/14 10:14
Author: Txhighballer

Now....that was nice.....thank you for taking the time to record it, ad another thank youto those who knew you were recording.

Date: 12/14/14 14:56
Author: nycman

Another gem from Mary. BTW folks, be sure to take Mary's hint and check her site. She markets these gems.

Date: 12/14/14 15:08
Author: dpudave

A thousand thanks. Watching and listening my blood pressure must have gone down 20 points. Wonderful. d

Date: 12/14/14 19:51
Author: spengr80

Very nice...
I too grew up listening to Mobile Fidelity's "Twilight of Steam" recordings back in the 60's. In fact, at the time, Mobile Fidelity was located in Burbank, Ca., my home town. At one time I owned most, if not all, of their LP's. Unfortunately, I unloaded them at a yard sale many years ago...a big mistake! I often wonder what became of the master tapes they had. I have no doubt that if the Twilight of Steam series was ever resurrected and released in CD format, it would be a big seller...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds