Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Steam & Excursion > Cumbres & Toltec

Date: 12/14/14 22:20
Cumbres & Toltec
Author: Brendan611

Hello all, I am planning a trip to the Cumbres & Toltec and the Durango & Silverton next year to celebrate my 30th birthday. I was wondering what you all would think is the best time to catch both railroads. I hear they occasionally have double headers out of Chama and would like to catch one if possible. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Date: 12/14/14 22:32
Re: Cumbres & Toltec
Author: dan

most people think there fall trips are the best, anytime is great, double headers run during busier times

Date: 12/14/14 23:23
Author: RustyRayls

Last 2 weeks in Sept. to 1st week in Oct.

Bob

Date: 12/15/14 03:22
Author: andersonb109

After you ride their tourist trains, you owe it to yourself to participate in a proper photo charter. The equipment is all authentic and lettered Rio Grande, not C&T. Durango and Silverton runs their own annual railfan event but I'm not sure the timing. You can probably find more info on their web site.

Date: 12/15/14 15:30
Author: SR_Krause

I have a slightly different take perhaps....

How many days do you have?

Chances are highest to catch a double-header out of Chama during the fall color season - as someone else said, late Sept/early Oct.

However.

I happen to think early June is a beautiful time to be in the Rockies, photographically. You've got a lot of "new tree green", more water flow in creeks and rivers, and somewhat smaller crowds in Durango. (OK, marginally admittedly...)

Spend a day in Silverton.
Spend a day on the Durango end, although probably not in town.
It's a half day drive over to Chama. Stay the night there. Catch the AM locomotive wake-ups, follow it up the hill and to Los Pinos. Then make it around to Antonito and scout the back roads a bit. Honestly, I think the Antonito side in the morning light has tremendous images, totally different than the Chama side.
Next morning catch it out of Antonito, and chase it down the West side back to Chama. Lessee..... That's 5 days so far....

Oh, and you haven't RIDDEN it yet! Oops!

And someday I'm going to hike down into the Animas Canyon at Cascade Wye and get photos down there in the canyon.....

No matter what you do and when you go, you'll thoroughly enjoy yourself.

SRK

Brendan611 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello all, I am planning a trip to the Cumbres &
> Toltec and the Durango & Silverton next year to
> celebrate my 30th birthday. I was wondering what
> you all would think is the best time to catch both
> railroads. I hear they occasionally have double
> headers out of Chama and would like to catch one
> if possible. Any suggestions would be helpful.
> Thanks!

Steve Krause
Chillicothe, IL

Date: 12/15/14 17:13
Author: SD45X

Bring a coat, whenever you come. Not kidding.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/16/14 08:20
Author: johnacraft

chuchubobnv Wrote:
> Last 2 weeks in Sept. to 1st week in Oct.

I agree with this - it's a great time to be in the area.

SR_Krause Wrote:
> Spend a day on the Durango end, although probably not in town.

And while I respect everyone's right to their own opinion, I disagree with this one. Downtown Durango is awesome, and regularly ranks at the top nationwide for quality of life.

The Strater Hotel is my favorite place to stay, and the attached Office Spiritorium is the perfect place to wind down from the day before going to dinner:

http://strater.com/dining/office-spiritorium/

(Actually, you can also cobble together a great dinner from the appetizer menu.)

Cj's Diner has the best breakfast in Durango, opens at 6:30am (a big plus for someone coming from the Eastern time zone), and is an easy walk from downtown hotels:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cjs-diner-durango

There are too many good restaurants, bars, coffee shops and brewpubs to risk leaving one out - I'll only say that I prefer smaller places to the big restaurants like Francisco's and the Ore House.

Date: 12/16/14 14:26
Author: SR_Krause

johnacraft:

I might have let my foam get a little excessive.... I was specifically thinking of photographic opportunities. I agree - Durango is a neat place to visit, with the major bonus of having the railroad. But the foam got in my fingers for a bit!

SRK

johnacraft Wrote:
> chuchubobnv Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Last 2 weeks in Sept. to 1st week in Oct.
>
> I agree with this - it's a great time to be in the
> area.
>
>
> SR_Krause Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Spend a day on the Durango end, although
> probably not in town.
>
> And while I respect everyone's right to their own
> opinion, I disagree with this one. Downtown
> Durango is awesome, and regularly ranks at the top
> nationwide for quality of life.
>
> The Strater Hotel is my favorite place to stay,
> and the attached Office Spiritorium is the perfect
> place to wind down from the day before going to
> dinner:
>
> http://strater.com/dining/office-spiritorium/
>
> (Actually, you can also cobble together a great
> dinner from the appetizer menu.)
>
> Cj's Diner has the best breakfast in Durango,
> opens at 6:30am (a big plus for someone coming
> from the Eastern time zone), and is an easy walk
> from downtown hotels:
>
> http://www.yelp.com/biz/cjs-diner-durango
>
> There are too many good restaurants, bars, coffee
> shops and brewpubs to risk leaving one out - I'll
> only say that I prefer smaller places to the big
> restaurants like Francisco's and the Ore House.

Steve Krause
Chillicothe, IL

Date: 12/16/14 16:01
Author: LarryDoyle

The only wrong way to do C&T is to not ride it at all.

Spend as much time at Chama and do as much as you can - you will not regret a minute. There's no wrong way. (Well, I have to confess, I do regret one period of less than a minute at Chama. The local banks ATM digested and would not return my Credit Card without the cash advance I'd requested.)

Re: Durango. The D&S is as great a visit as C&T. The area around Durango, and train chasing, is wonderful. While in town I let my wife peruse the local traps while I wander around photographing buildings (Except for the nearby McDonalds). (Now, if they could get rid of the pavement and the automobiles.) (Yeah, I know - that's what makes it possible for the masses to visit, whose visits primarily support our vices.) (Thank you masses.)

-John

Date: 12/16/14 17:15
Author: Auburn_Ed

Cumbres and Toltec often runs doubleheaders on Saturdays because of heavier loads, they don't really know until a few days in advance. I have done both railroads twice recently, both times in September/October. Weather (and fall colors) both times was FANTASTIC. Check their websites, there are a few scheduled doubleheaders on both roads, dates vary.

Ed

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0908 seconds