Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Steam & Excursion > North Pole Express 2014-MILW 261

Date: 12/15/14 00:31
North Pole Express 2014-MILW 261
Author: alco636

On Saturday 12.13.2014 I managed to make it over to SPUD to see the 261 and train. The North Pole Express 2014. I'm so glad I did too. It was good to catch up with folks I hadn't seen for a while. Plus so many happy faces on kids of all ages. The 261 and crew represented the season well. Part of our country's railroad history was on display, lit up, and hot. It was first class too. Sorry to those folks I missed. I wanted to return Sunday night, but it didn't work out for me. All photos taken in St. Paul, MN 12.13.2014.

#1 I took the Green Line LRT from Minneapolis to St. Paul. Here is the Nicollet Mall station.

#2 Shortly after arriving, the North Pole Express rolled back from the North Pole.

#3 The 261 and train looked awesome. A testament to the hard working crew that maintains, and runs the 261. Well done everyone!

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 12/15/14 00:33
Re: North Pole Express 2014-MILW 261

#4 The classy lettering honoring the late Judy Sandberg. Fireman Dick Boulet is speaking with someone on the platform.

#5 As the locomotive was kept hot, passengers started to arrive for the next run. I saw happy faces galore! Thank you BNSF, Amtrak, the crew, and all who support this first class organization. We're damn lucky to have our nations railroad history running here in the Twin Cities. I sincerely hope this will run again next Christmas. (And I am able to see it all at night lit up!)

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 12/15/14 15:50
Author: davebb71

saw it last night on it's final run at 5:30pm. pretty cool lit up. smelling the condensate and coal smoke was all good too. had to view it from the next platform over and through the fence but was well worth the trip to st. paul. this could become a christmas tradition 'cause someone else's kid turns 3 next year. dave, out.

Date: 12/16/14 10:42

I sure hope it happens again next year. I'm 46, and it made me feel like a kid again.

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 12/20/14 20:12
Author: rrhistorian

Thank you for the great photos. I have a question about this operation - Does anyone have numbers for the ex-VRE, ex-Metra cars in the consist?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds