Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Steam & Excursion > A Beautiful Scene Along The Northwestern Pacific-1939!

Date: 12/20/14 03:31
A Beautiful Scene Along The Northwestern Pacific-1939!
Author: LoggerHogger

One of the biggest fans of the NWP in the days of steam was noted railfan Wil Whittaker. Living in Mill Valley, California gave Wil quick access to the NWP trains operating north of San Francisco Bay.

In one of his best action views of the NWP, Wil captured NWP #142 and her train in the afternoon of March 16, 1939 as it sped through the small community of Chapman, California on her way south. Against a back drop of eucalyptus trees Wil captured the true romance that was the NWP in the days of steam.

No wonder Wil came back time after time to photograph the NWP. Wouldn't we if we had the chance?

Martin

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/14 11:26 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/20/14 05:35
Re: A Beautiful Scene Along The Northwestern Pacific-19
Author: TonyJ

Nice shot by Wil that also shows the exposed electrified third rail. Oh how times have changed.

Date: 12/20/14 10:06
Author: campgus

The eucalyptus trees in this photo were in my backyard in Corte Madera.
I wasn't born until 1947(half of the trees were cut then), but my mom said the steam trains frightened me as a baby.
I remember playing on the tracks, one standard gauge line by the time I was there.
My dad talked about hopping the tracks and the third rail to reach the passenger platform at Chapman to ride to Tam High.
Gus
now NWPRRHS Archivist

Date: 12/20/14 10:51
Author: WP-M2051

No. 3 was westbound (south) going to Sausalito.

Date: 12/20/14 20:54
Author: Harlock

A scene you can thank the Spaniards and Australia for. :)

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds