Home Open Account Help 391 users online

Steam & Excursion > ATSF 2926 Work Update Week Ending 01/10/2015

Date: 01/16/15 07:49
ATSF 2926 Work Update Week Ending 01/10/2015
Author: Cumbresfan

A work update and three new photo sets have been posted. Though flexible staybolt sleeve welding and superheater pipe assembly continue, they are nearing the end with both tasks. The big new news is that they getting ready for flue installation with assembly of scaffolding to allow easier access to the smokebox and boiler, and the new flues in storage are being pulled out and cut to exact size needed for installation. Trailing truck brake shoes have arrived and the driver shoes should arrive in the next week.

http://nmslrhs.org/Status/status.php?week_no=201502

http://nmslrhs.org/Photos/2014/12-27/index.html
http://nmslrhs.org/Photos/2015/01-03/index.html
http://nmslrhs.org/Photos/2015/01-10/index.html
Several short video clips are included with the third photo set

Sponsorships are available for new custom-manufactured flexible staybolts, one remaining pop-off valve, and special order bushings for the Walschaerts valve gear. You can view them and purchase on line at the below link:
http://nmslrhs.org/Shop/Steam2015/sponsorships.php

1. Flexible staybolt sleeve welding nearing completion
2. Superheater tube assembly continues
3. Annual refresher safety training 7:30 a.m. Saturday morning - the focus was confined space safety.

More ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/15 09:45 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 01/16/15 07:53
Re: ATSF 2926 Work Update Week Ending 01/10/2015

4. Throttle linkage bracket going up
5. Fitting before final installation
6. Temporary installation - some new support studs are needed

More ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/15 07:54 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 01/16/15 07:56

7. Cutting flues to size
8. Building a scaffolding/platform for safe installation
9. Platform with flue ready-to-install storage

Several more ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/15 08:05 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 01/16/15 08:07

10. New flues being removed from storage
11. Newly manufactured trailing truck brake shoes
12. Kitty having a REALLY bad hair day!

Date: 01/16/15 12:44
Author: Finderskeepers

One of the reasons that I continue to support this group is their personal touch to things. It might seem insignificant to others, but I can tell you that after my donation of a boiler tube, and more recently a valve gear bushing, I got a personal hand written letter of thanks. I also got a Christmas card from them also. They could have just sent me a "thanks for your donation" form email, but they took the time to personally thank me for my contribution to their cause. Not sure how to explain it, but it makes you feel more connected to the project. Of course the weekly progress updates and pictures on their website actually show me where they are at, what they will be tackling next and the people involved in the restoration. All of this leads to a feeling of being included in the restoration. So much so for me, that when they had a break in and critical parts were stolen, I personally offered to double the reward money to have the parts returned. Unfortunately it didn't happen, but I was more than willing to put up the reward money to see this project move forward if at all possible. When I see restoration projects that have either stalled or are seemingly taking decades to produce results, I wonder if they should be taking a lesson from these folks, on not only how to fundraise, but how to get people on board (pardon the pun)and keep them there. I see them forming alliances with other folks (such as Grand Canyon, the 3751 group etc) farming out work to others who have the expertise, keeping tight with , getting corporate sponsorships and even getting local companies to donate time, materials and even labour.
They have made mistakes, but learned from them. They have made safety a priority, almost to the extreme, but that is a hallmark of a professional organization, and something that will serve them well when they are finally ready to approach a host railroad.
They will succeed where others have failed, my only regret is that they were too late to rescue the Santa Fe historical collection before it left Abq. If only they could get their hands on the 3463...

Date: 01/16/15 12:47
Author: callum_out

I just bought one of the long very custom staybolts, it took them all of 15 minutes to send me a thank
you mail. The 18 group operates in the same manner but I've sent donations to other groups and never
heard a word. Kinda makes any follow up money a total non-starter.

Out

Date: 01/16/15 13:22
Author: ddg

I just got my name on two more parts, an Engineer's side union link, and one of the stay bolts. Anxious to see this finally heading for the finish line. I want to be there when the first match is lit.

Date: 01/16/15 13:40
Author: nycman

Ditto what Finderskeepers said. I am certain these folks will succeed, and have purchased my appropriate hat and tee shirt, hopefully to wear to the occasion of the first steam-up.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0636 seconds