Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Steam & Excursion > GTW 4070 Update

Date: 01/17/15 19:59
GTW 4070 Update
Author: trainsfireengine

We had a very good day at Midwest Railway Preservation Society today The weather in Cleveland was 40 to 50 degrees and dry. We pulled the 4070 out of the house and removed the Duplex stoker elevators and motor from the back head. Then we removed the Coffin feedwater manifold from the smoke box. We still have to remove the flue sheets but most of the work has been done on the front sheet.

Date: 01/17/15 20:14
Re: GTW 4070 Update
Author: TrackGuy

Are both front and rear flue sheets getting replaced? Do both have to be removed? What is the extent of the boiler work that needs to be done? At what point will work begin on the running gear?
Rob

Date: 01/17/15 20:36
Author: trainsfireengine

Yes we will be replacing both sheets. Running gear work is not on the schedule for this Winter, but we are well aware of what needs to be done.

Date: 01/18/15 11:57
Author: Nictd1000

Glad to hear of progress being made, I've always had a soft spot for GTW/CN steam.

Ryan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/18/15 16:36

Who is heading up the restoration of 4070?

Rob

Posted from Android

Date: 01/18/15 18:24
Author: Keystone1

Any discussion or news about that ex-Frisco 2-8-2 that is supposed to be coming to the roundhouse for repair?

Date: 01/19/15 18:37

Keystone1, not a lot new to report on the 1352 front at the moment other than "please send money!". Steve and the gang "winterized" the engine a month or so ago in Taylorville by wrapping the boiler in a couple of large tarps and generally lubed around the engine's running gear to keep fresh oil in as many places as possible. They also beat back the brush around the locomotive as well. ASR is continuing to raise funds and develop the work plans and other logistics for loading, moving and unloading the locomotive in Cleveland. ASR is currently looking at some alternate routing options as we are planning on moving the locomotive and tender on heavy duty flatcars. Remember, cranes are very expensive so if you would like to help make this dream a reality, won't you consider supporting this restoration? No amount is too small...every penny and every dollar counts and is much appreciated. To support the project, visit http://www.americansteamrailroad.org/ to donate today.

Seeing Midwest hard at work on 4070 warms my heart, personally, as she was the first standard gauge steamer I had the chance to see upclose at a very early age at the old Rockside Rd. CVL boarding location just north of the I-480 overpass over the Cuyhoga Valley. Can't wait to chase her down the valley to Akron and now on to Canton, which she never got to do "back in the day" under the CVL banner.

Thanks,

TrackGuy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0349 seconds