Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steam Switcher Sunday

Date: 01/25/15 20:03
Steam Switcher Sunday
Author: nycman

I just wanted to start something, after seeing Martin's photo of the monster NP switcher, so here are a couple from the Harold K. Vollrath collection of New York Central 0-8-0s.

Date: 01/26/15 05:13
Re: Steam Switcher Sunday
Author: juicejunkie

Here's another monster from the New York Central, courtesy of Otto Perry.

OP-13385
NYC locomotive, engine number 4597, engine type 0-10-0
Perry, Otto, 1894-1970.
Three-quarter view of left side of engine, from front end. Photographed: Cleveland, Ohio, September 28, 1930.
Title from catalog prepared by Western History Department, Denver Public Library.; R7000133853
1 photonegative ; 9 x 14 cm.; 1 photoprint : silver gelatin, b&w ; 9 x 14 cm.
Otto C. Perry memorial collection of railroad photographs.

Jack Bejna
Los Angeles, CA

Date: 01/26/15 07:46
Author: jkh2cpu

This is the topper, isn't it :-)

John.

Date: 01/26/15 08:00
Author: refarkas

Great images. The 0-10-0 was a surprise. I forgot such "beasts" existed. thanks for posting these.
Bob

Date: 01/26/15 15:37
Author: nycman

Darn, Jack, that's a big one. You made me do this. Who would believe NY Central had 0-8-8-0 Mallets used for switching? Class NU-1. More from the Harold K. Vollrath collection.

Date: 01/26/15 16:46
Author: Earlk

I think the 0-8-0 is a soak...

Date: 01/26/15 19:14
Author: baldwin1922

If you look at the 0-8-0's there are the distinctive 5 bolt pattern's towards the rear of the smokebox that indicate the presence of a superheater. The 0-10-0 however looks to be a soak. There is no 5 bolt pattern and the cylinders have been changed. Inside admission with piston valves would tell me that the engine was probably built with slide valves.

Date: 01/27/15 12:05
Author: Keystone1

Guys...just look at THE LIGHT on the second and third photo. Perfect!!! These are excellent examples of the engine portrait school of steam photography. Men would give the roundhouse foreman a print or two, and maybe a few cigars, and the foreman would let the photographer have the run of the place. He even get a few prized engines, with steam up, to come out of the house and be spotted with rods down. All this post card size photography and negative trading is lost on the new generations of enthusiasts with their slides, digital and zoom lens photography.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0552 seconds