Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Steam & Excursion > Still A Grand Looking Machine After All These Years!

Date: 02/23/15 03:16
Still A Grand Looking Machine After All These Years!
Author: LoggerHogger

The lines of a high stepping 4-8-4 are beautifully represented in the Baldwin product that is SP&S #700.

This fine view of this handsome engine was taken in July 1950 as she waited at Union Station in Portland, Oregon. She is in the same neat and clean appearance that SP&S was famous for when it came to their passenger equipment.

Fortunately for all of us, this scene can be duplicated today as SP&S #700 is still kept in this same condition as part of the Oregon Rail Heritage Foundation collection in Portland today.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/15 03:21 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 02/23/15 06:50
Re: Still A Grand Looking Machine After All These Years
Author: Betsy

Indeed Martin, one of the best looking northerns built. I'm thrilled that I've been able to see it run. It's so elegant that one doen't realize how massive a loco 700 actually is. And while I'm typically not a fan of white trim on steam engines (UP844 and SP 4449 look so much better without the white tires), it's clear that SP&S 700's strips are approriate, and belong.

Elizabeth

Date: 02/23/15 07:52
Author: ClubCar

LoggerHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The lines of a high stepping 4-8-4 are beautifully
> represented in the Baldwin product that is SP&S
> #700.
>
> This fine view of this handsome engine was taken
> in July 1950 as she waited at Union Station in
> Portland, Oregon. She is in the same neat and
> clean appearance that SP&S was famous for when it
> came to their passenger equipment.
>
> Fortunately for all of us, this scene can be
> duplicated today as SP&S #700 is still kept in
> this same condition as part of the Oregon Rail
> Heritage Foundation collection in Portland today.
>
>
> Martin
Thanks for your photo and comments Martin. I only wish we had her in Baltimore. We don't have any steam trains close by because of CSX not wanting to operate anything and Norfolk Southern has not brought any of their steam engines to the area either. We are starved for excursions period. The best near by steam operations are "Steam Into History" in New Freedom, Pennsylvania, "Strasburg Railroad" also in Pennsylvania, and of course our own "Western Maryland Scenic" in Cumberland, Maryland a good 180 miles from Baltimore.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 02/23/15 11:13
Author: Ardenwood

Martin,

Thank you for sharing the beautiful 1950 shot.
Pardon my posting an old picture on the point of "Montana Daylight" as
she left Livingston, Montana in October 2002.

Date: 02/23/15 14:08
Author: nycman

700 is a fine looking locomotive. Thanks, Martin, and Ardenwood, in your shot 700 is hauling DLMX aux tender on its THIRD steam outing of 2002, having been behind 4449 in the spring trip to Bend, and 3751 on her trip to the Grand Canyon. Now behind 700 into Montana.

Date: 02/25/15 19:28
Author: Mgoldman

Sweet shots, both!

/Mitch

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds