Home Open Account Help 212 users online

Steam & Excursion > VMT building a home for not 2 locomotives, but 3.

Date: 02/26/15 06:45
VMT building a home for not 2 locomotives, but 3.
Author: unseenthings

(VMT = Virginia Museum of Transportation )
I haven't seen this elsewhere, but those of you who got the FireUp611 newsletter may have noticed this tidbit

"As the date for the 611's Homecoming draws nearer, our need to fully fund the Preservation and Education facility at the Virginia Museum of Transportation becomes more urgent! The three-track facility has been designed as the new home to protect and preserve Norfolk & Western's Big Three: The Class J 611™, the Class A 1218 and the Class Y6a 2156 when she returns to Roanoke.
We plan to break ground as soon as site details are finalized, but we need your help to put us over the top to complete the campaign and this important building!"

By "Preservation and Education facility" I assume they mean the "Lubritorium" that we have been speculating about if it was going to be just for 611 or 611 & 1218. Building room for 2156 seems a bit of a commitment for just a "5 year lease" Permanent home perhaps?

Date: 02/26/15 11:06
Re: VMT building a home for not 2 locomotives, but 3.
Author: mitch45

All ways plan for more room for stuff . Space disappears faster then you would imagine once you move in!

Date: 02/26/15 12:05
Author: jethat

I'm betting the desire is there to drag that lease out! They belong together...

Date: 02/26/15 12:42
Author: arrow611

Interestingly, if you were to write three checks to donate toward this building - $6.11, $12.18 and $21.56 - the total comes up to $39.85! It doesn't seem likely that a Union Pacific engine would show up at VMT next year, but 2017 would be the 75th anniversary of the Santa Train on CSX's former Clinchfield Railroad. They brought it east in 1992. Possibly a repeat? If so, it's not that much further to Roanoke - even if it's not on a CSX line. Maybe a visit to Clifton Forge - you know - while its "in the neighborhood!" Pipe dream? Probably!

Date: 02/26/15 12:53
Author: Mgoldman

Both engines (611 & 1218) seem to have held up VERY well outdoors, under the
pavilion. It's almost a shame to see they'll be squished indoors. There's
something I've always thought made displays more impressive when outdoors.

I thought the shop was being build primarily as a place to work on 611. As
for a shop with 3 stalls... well, it ain't like there are not other steam
engines on the property! Or non-steam engines. That GG1 could sure use
some love, though why the Museum has a GG1 is a whole other ball of yarn.

/Mitch

Date: 02/26/15 19:39
Author: mike15224449

I would believe that 2 locomotives and machinery would make a little more since. But that is just me.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/31/15 17:13
Author: Defective_Detector

Maybe NS plans to merge with UP and send the 4014 to St. Louis in exchange for the 2156.

:-)

Date: 05/31/15 19:40
Author: nsrlink

I'll bet money down the road they just end up enclosing that shed of theirs instead of building a new three track building from scratch.

Further, it'd be great if they considered trading the Wabash E8 & FT B unit to St. Louis permenantly for the 2156.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0331 seconds