Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Steam & Excursion > N&W1218

Date: 02/26/15 21:22
N&W1218
Author: Ardenwood

I happened to pull out my July 10, 1988 shot of A, and found it crooked so I turned 3 degrees counter clock wise to get the signal post straight. I think the location is Cooper, West Virginia. Correct me if I am wrong about the time or the place.

Date: 02/26/15 21:31
Re: N&W1218
Author: kurt765

Perfection

Date: 02/26/15 22:26
Author: thefracturedfrog

Great shot. It is, indeed, Coopers, WV.

-Froggie

Date: 02/27/15 04:08
Author: classiclights

The photo date was June 10th, 1988; other than that, you've pretty well hit it on all cylinders!

Considering that there were some two dozen +/- old-school photographers on the upper level for that angle/perspective, only a relatively few images from the day have been uploaded across the many rail & steam related forums. I've attached two additional views; one of which, the horizontal crop, was lucky enough to land on the cover of the 1995 TRAINS Magazine Annual Calendar; my 15 minutes of fame.

Bob Lyndall

Date: 02/27/15 06:44
Author: elu34ch

There was a discussion on the Model page about the size of the beams used on a double track truss bridge. Clearly this structure was built to last forever....

Date: 02/27/15 06:54
Author: P

That is awesome.

Date: 02/27/15 08:02
Author: Frisco1522

Great shots, great lighting and the impossible catch of rods down on both engines. Good firing also!

Date: 02/27/15 10:02
Author: Ardenwood

Thank you classiclights for the correction of the time and for your beautiful shots. I can still feel the excitement thirty-seven years later. Haruo

Date: 02/27/15 10:04
Author: Tominde

Thanks for the great shot. I now have an awesome picture of deck truss bridge to use to teach my engineering students. "Mr P, why do so many of your pictures have trains in them?" :)

Date: 02/27/15 11:55
Author: classiclights

Ardenwood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"Thank you classiclights for the correction of the time and for your beautiful shots. I can still feel the excitement thirty-seven years later." - Haruo

Haruo -

Indeed, that was one absolutely awesome morning! I felt like a relative neophyte compared to those that I recognized had been at it much longer than myself. In fact, I had only picked up on steam some 18 months earlier at the tender age of 41.

I was not familiar with this spot, but at the urging of Greg Scholl and Thomas Schultz, I made the trip with Greg. Greg shot from the branch line below and I chose to go up top with those other two dozen or so, including yourself.

I was standing on the far right of the photo line next to Randy Scholl with one foot one step down the cliff. I recall several calling out that the exposure should be at a 1/2 stop over.

Shooting both a Pentax 67 and a Minolta Maxxum 9000, I chose to stay at what the camera metering indicated on both. After all, as a rookie what did I know, so I stuck with what the camera told me to using full manual mode each.

Turns out I got lucky, and like most up on the hill that morning, I also recall standing there for a few moments afterwards trying to digest what had just happened.

When I got back down to the road, Greg was ready to go. I threw my gear in the van and mentioned that I did not care if I took another shot all day.

I was convinced that I had my shot(s); and as rookie luck would have it, I did !!!

Date: 02/28/15 01:40
Author: alco636

Thank you so much for sharing!

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 02/28/15 14:38
Author: nycman

Haruo, thanks to both you and Bob for sharing photos of a great trip with a great locomotive.

Date: 03/02/15 17:23
Author: Finderskeepers

Ardenwood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you classiclights for the correction of the
> time and for your beautiful shots. I can still
> feel the excitement thirty-seven years later.
> Haruo

Better not be 37 years later, or I just aged another 10 years overnight!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/05/15 15:27
Author: apollo17

I think he meant 27 years later! lol

Date: 03/06/15 12:11
Author: VGNRY

I purchased the last large photo you had for sale, in 2002 or 2003. After I received the photo my employer told me to get it framed and he would pay for it since it was close to my birthday. I had it framed and the cost was $800.00, it was then and still is today one of my prized possessions. Thank you Bob for taking the photo and also for enlarging the original to that large size. I am retired now and living in Murfreesboro, TN. Thank you again Thomas Lassak.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.065 seconds