Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Steam & Excursion > LIRR Steam

Date: 02/28/15 11:34
LIRR Steam
Author: rbenko

Hey All:

Sharing two scans from a fairly large stack of 5x7 B&W prints I recently uncovered at my parent's house. My father, Stephen J. Benkovitz, was a lifelong railfan (excepting several years of his "Conscientious Objector" period after the demise of steam, as many of you here on this board can sympathize). His collection spans the mid-forties until his death in 2005 from brain cancer, and was taken in several mediums - primarily slides (mostly Kodachrome thank goodness!), but also medium format color positives and B&W negatives, and tens of thousands of 35MM B&W negatives of many different formats. Someday when I retire I hope to systematically go through this massive collection full of many, many treasures, but the task is daunting and a little thing called everyday life keeps getting in the way.

Anyway, just wanted to share with y'all these two pictures. Both I am assuming were taken around 1950 or a bit later, and must be from medium-format negatives (which I intend to locate someday!!). The first is most likely somewhere east of Jamaica, Queens - is the signal indicating MP 12.5?? The second I believe is a westbound through Forest Park, only a couple of miles away from where my father grew up (Woodhaven, Queens).

Hope you enjoy, and if anyone has any additional info, please feel free to comment.

Thanks for viewing,

Rob Benkovitz
New York, NY

Date: 02/28/15 13:55
Re: LIRR Steam
Author: wjpyper

Well, I hope you can post some more soon. I grew in Amityville, Long Island in the late 1940s and early 1950s. My grandparents house was about 50 yards from the tracks and I used to sit on the porch and watch the trains. My grandfather rode the LIRR to "the city" daily for 50 years to work.
Bill Pyper
Salem, OR

Date: 02/28/15 17:07
Author: stevelv

I think the freight is around Floral Park and the passenger train looks like its going through Forest Park. Keep scanning DB.
Bro

Date: 02/28/15 17:47
Author: bigjim4life

Nice shots! I agree - keep on posting!

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA
Big Jim Video Productions

Date: 02/28/15 19:34
Author: kingman

got any of NHP or Port Jeff?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds