Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Steam & Excursion > 85 Years Ago Today A Beginning & 80 Years Ago An End!

Date: 03/01/15 02:47
85 Years Ago Today A Beginning & 80 Years Ago An End!
Author: LoggerHogger

March 1 is a very significant day in the history of the Sierra railway of Jamestown, California.

It was on March 1, 1930. some 85 years ago today that the Sierra Ry placed into service for the first time ALCO 2-8-2 #36. This would prove to be the last new steam locomotive ever purchased by the Sierra Ry. We see #36 in her ALCO builder's photo with the unique factory spark arrestor she was delivered with.

On this same March 1 day only 5 years later in 1935 the Sierra Ry began the slow an sad task of tearing up the 19.2 miles of their famed Angels Camp Branch. This branch had first been placed in service in 1902, but the traffic had never reached expectations and the Depression finally caused the Sierra to file for abandonment of this steep and windy line. The last photo shows Sierra Ry #30 and combine #5 parked at Jamestown at the depot heading to depart for Angels Camp just before the rails were torn up. Both 2-6-2 #30 and Combine #5 were especially designed and built for the demands of the Angels Camp Branch.

While the Angels Camp Branch itself is long gone, we can take solace in the fact that both Sierra #36 and #0 are still with us today as is Combine #5.

Martin

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/15 13:12 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 03/01/15 12:23
Re: 85 Years Ago Today A Beginning & 80 Years Ago An En
Author: Earlk

#36 was the first engine I ever rode behind, and later the same day, was the first engine cab I ever rode in. That was back in 1966 when Reed Hatch had her in Arizona. Because of Sierra #36, I never had a chance to be a normal person...

Date: 03/01/15 12:45
Author: SierraRail

"depot at Angels Camp"? C'mon Martin, you know better than that!

Date: 03/01/15 13:03
Author: YWRR19

SierraRail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "depot at Angels Camp"? C'mon Martin, you know
> better than that!

Yes that is definitely Jamestown, not Angels Camp.

Matt Starman
Greenleaf, ID

Date: 03/01/15 13:20
Author: YWRR19

Here is a photo of Sierra 36 a couple years back rusting away in Merrill, Oregon.

Matt Starman
Greenleaf, ID

Date: 03/01/15 13:47
Author: DKay

I see an old depot and evidence of a ROW in Valley Springs when I visit the US each year.Not being familiar with the history of the area,was this part of the Sierra railroad at some stage.
Regards,DK

Date: 03/01/15 15:44
Author: SierraRail

Track at Valley Springs is the old Southern Pacific "Kentucky House" branch line which ran east from Lodi to San Andreas, California, serving the Calaveras Cement plant in San Andreas.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0506 seconds