Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP Steam Presentation at Rocky Mountain Train Show

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/01/15 06:57
UP Steam Presentation at Rocky Mountain Train Show
Author: jeeps

For those of you who are interested in the Union Pacific steam program, Ed Dickens, Senior Manager of Heritage Operations for UP, will be making a presentation on Saturday, March 7th at 11 am at the Rocky Mountain Train Show covering updates to the Cheyenne Shop and the status of steam engines 844 and Big Boy 4014. The presentation will be held in Aisle K of Expo 1.
The Rocky Mountain Train Show is the largest all scales model train show west of the Mississippi covering 2-1/2 acres. It features 600+ tables of trains for sale, 30 operating layout and over 20 clinics.
Our manufacturers showcase has been significantly expanded to include Bachmann Trains, MTH Electric Trains, Walthers, Broadway Limited, Kato, Hornby, 3rd Rail/Sunset, KamKonnect, White River Productions, Motrak Models, North American Railcar, Sundance Marketing, Iwata, Monroe Models, Weathering Solutions, Trainz, Caboose Industries, Yardgoat Images, Evergreen Hill Designs and Grasstech USA. Come see the newest products from these national manufacturers.
The show will take place March 7th and 8th, 2015 at the Denver Mart (451 E 58th Ave) in Denver, Colorado. Hours are Saturday 10 am to 5 pm and Sunday 10 am to 4 pm. Admission is $9, kids under 12 are free. Parking is $5.
More info at www.RockyMountainTrainShow.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/15 07:20 by jeeps.

Date: 03/01/15 07:27
Re: UP Steam Presentation at Rocky Mountain Train Show
Author: CPRR

All we need is a large group of former steam crew to sit in the front row and not smile, staring at Ed. When he finishes the talk, stand up and say "Bull••••!" Right to his face

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/01/15 09:14
Author: jkh2cpu

Well, Ed seems to be on a lot of peoples' s@it-list, so I'd give
it a rest and just wait for things to play out. If it's 1/10th as
bad as is reported here, he's already a goner.

Oil or coal on the roaring blaze won't help a whole lot, and may
give some to question whether he's as bad as reported.

John.

Date: 03/01/15 09:19
Author: HotWater

jkh2cpu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oil or coal on the roaring blaze won't help a
> whole lot, and may
> give some to question whether he's as bad as
> reported.
>
> John.

Obviously you have never worked with, nor for, him!

Date: 03/01/15 09:53
Author: jkh2cpu

Of course not. Unless you guys are just piling on, I'd assume
from the chatter here that he is a horse's @ss, not too knowledgeable
about steam, and a skirt-chaser to boot. Not the sort of guy that
UP wants to have running their steam program. They've got to
know that by now, or they are terminally dumb and nothing will change
attitudes in Omaha.

I'd counsel patience, and if that's not helpful, try doubling heart
and stomach meds ;-)

John.

Date: 03/01/15 09:57

jkh2cpu Wrote:

> I'd counsel patience, and if that's not helpful,
> try doubling heart
> and stomach meds ;-)
>
> John.

Patience?????? Really????

Four plus years, and NOTHING runs anymore, and about 200% turnover in shop personnel, and you preach "patience"?

Date: 03/01/15 09:59
Author: Phantom_of_Cajon

What impresses me the most about Dickens is his honesty!!! To those that could stomach the Facebook posting . . . Take a close look at his gloves . . . It is an attempt to protect his "skirt chasing" ways by admitting . . . He wrote "ED" on his gloves! Hmmmm . . .

Date: 03/01/15 10:10
Author: tehachcond

I am curious as to why Ed is giving this speech, instead of his new boss.

Brian Black
Retired SP/UP Conductor

Date: 03/01/15 10:22

tehachcond Wrote:
> I am curious as to why Ed is giving this speech,
> instead of his new boss.
>
> Brian Black
> Retired SP/UP Conductor

Just my guess but, the new Director hasn't learned yet how to tell all the lies like dl does.

Date: 03/01/15 10:37
Author: wcamp1472

Watch what restoration folks actually accomplish. Many locomotive restorations have succeeded, many have failed, miserably. The difference has been evidenced by how they start out. Some start out poorly and go down hill, others start out carefully and succeed wildly.
Actions speak louder, and more truthfully, than words.

What's the reasoning for a public appearance, of a corporate officer, at a toy train show, regardless of the show's size?
How does that fit with the Corporate aspirations of what publicity aspect they want to highlight?

Something just doesn't ring true about the value of this person's appearance at this event; or, any possible enhancement of U.P.'s corporate mission or public perception.

The 4000 class loco's restoration could show U.P.'s history of conquering any challenge and Winning! The loco could be inspiring in the public's eyes.
We'll have to see how this transpires. I'm puzzled.

The comment about former team members at this event does not fit their established excellent P.R. (relaxed). skills. --- all very natural and understated.
Why would they want to be attending this toy train show?

Nothing the present team does affects the terrific record that ALL the previous U.P. Steam Crews so proudly accomplished!
There are so many skilled steam folks, that even preceded the arrival of Steve Lee's crew on the scene.
The magnificent record that all those folks , and their predecessors, established cannot be diminished by whatever happens, going forward.

Their decades-long, shining record will only stand in stark contrast to affairs in the future.
The present team can aspire to exceed that long record, they can try match that record , or they can accomplish a sad failure, and be swept into tha ashpan of history.

What, in this team's recent record, points to a wildly successful outcome, going forward?

Wes C.

Date: 03/01/15 12:05
Author: CaliforniaSteam

I would guess this is the only place left he can go and toot his own whistle about all the great things he is doing; and not be questioned about anything. There has to be someone at this train show that has a clue about what has been going on. My understanding is the DL isn't going anywhere and IS NOT in danger of loosing his job regardless of everything that has gone on. I think this is going to be a wait and see what happens affair on how this all plays out. Sooner or later he is going to run out excuses, lies, diversionary tactics, and people to blame things on. I think the fact that nothing is running right now and the fact that nothing is going to run in the future as good thing. At least the 844, 3985, and 4014 will NOT be abused by the DL while being operated. IE flatten drivers, boilers full of mud, tubes coated with build up, etc etc etc..... He has no crew left, I believe he is down to one person left that can actually do any work and he is looking for a way out. If anyone else is hired they will be people that have NO steam knowledge and will just do what they are told to do by the DL (Dear Leader) himself. He will not find anyone in the steam community that has any steam credit to come work there that would touch that place with a ten foot pole nor does he want anyone with knowledge to work there. Very sad situation to say the least.

CS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/15 12:09 by CaliforniaSteam.

Date: 03/01/15 12:33
Author: wpjones

We can all hope no one attends.
Steve

Date: 03/01/15 13:32
Author: Realist

wpjones Wrote:
> We can all hope no one attends.
> Steve

Oh, there will be plenty of starry-eyed people
there, fawning and drooling and hanging on
every lie and exaggeration.

They will leave thinking they've learned something.

The title of this thread should be changed to:
"UP No Steam Presentation at Rocky Mountain Train Show"

Just look a few threads above this one for a good
example of the nose-in-the-air, snooty, holier-than-thou
attitude about this mess from some of the so-called
serious preservationists.

They will be there cheering him on, probably thinking
they are showing UP how much they support UP.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/15 18:53 by Realist.

Date: 03/01/15 17:18
Author: meixel

I am going to the train show but not to his presentation. I went when he talked the first time but I want to enjoy the show so I won't listen to him this time.

Date: 03/01/15 17:29
Author: cdub

Sounds like a good opportunity for egg and tomato vendors.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/01/15 18:28
Author: lwilton

Did any of you notice where this will be held? What kind of stage or conference room?

From the initial posting:

> The presentation will be held in Aisle K of Expo 1.

That reads to me that he is going to be in someone's booth, talking to whomever happens to be passing by or can crowd into the 10' wide aisle in front of that booth. That is NOT a really high-level talk. That sounds to me like a sales talk in someone's booth.

Anyone know where to find the floorplan for the show? Those sort of things are usually posted online for bigger shows at convention centers these days.

Date: 03/01/15 18:40
Author: kwo

lwilton Wrote:
><SNIP>
>
> That reads to me that he is going to be in
> someone's booth, talking to whomever happens to be
> passing by or can crowd into the 10' wide aisle in
> front of that booth. That is NOT a really
> high-level talk. That sounds to me like a sales
> talk in someone's booth.
>
> Anyone know where to find the floorplan for the
> show? Those sort of things are usually posted
> online for bigger shows at convention centers
> these days.

These are essentially conference rooms. Last year he was in Aisle H in Expo 1. The rooms are roughly 10' x 20' and have collapsible walls that can lengthen it (to 10' x 40, 60, etc). Not big at all, but a lot of people could still fit.
~wko

Date: 03/01/15 18:53
Author: kwo

CaliforniaSteam Wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> My understanding is the DL isn't going anywhere
> and IS NOT in danger of loosing his job regardless
> of everything that has gone on. I think this is
> going to be a wait and see what happens affair on
> how this all plays out.
>
> <SNIP>

I couldn't disagree more. I was talking with a friend of mine who works for UP in Iowa, and he's visiting Colorado at the same time as Frontier Days is. We got to talking about this year's train (which I speculate will be run with 2 of the newest locomotives UP has), and he responded with this...
"Well Ed is on the way out so I have heard, that's why Scott George is in. Ed didn't even know George was coming up ."
I responded saying I didn't think anything would happen until the court dates in June. His response was...
"You are correct on that. Nothing will be done until the lawsuits are gone and out the door. But the way it sounds, Ed is out. Scott is in."

Hopefully by the time fall rolls around, there will be 10 to 15 steam-experienced crew members working in the steam shop, ed will be 2 months removed, and we can stop going through a large box of popcorn every week.
~wko - I'm aware it's a long-shot, but SOME wishful thinking never killed anyone

Date: 03/02/15 03:12
Author: bobwilcox

CPRR Wrote:
> All we need is a large group of former steam crew
> to sit in the front row and not smile, staring at
> Ed. When he finishes the talk, stand up and say
> "Bull••••!" Right to his face
>
> Posted from iPhone

Do you want to kill the UP steam program? If the UP sees the steam program as a source of negative publicity it will be like the City of Portland through Laramie. Long Gone.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 03/02/15 04:45

bobwilcox Wrote:

> Do you want to kill the UP steam program?

Does UP have a "steam program"?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0736 seconds