Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Steam & Excursion > Fun at the Heber Valley Railroad

Date: 03/01/15 18:52
Fun at the Heber Valley Railroad
Author: atsf121

So my son Joshua turned 9 the other week and all he wanted to do for his birthday was go to Heber and see the railroad and eat dinner at Dairy Keen (home of train - they have a G gauge train running around the ceiling, an HO Harry Potter setup, and lots of other train stuff). So of course I was more than happy to oblige. It was a bummer to not see my grandma, she's been gone a few years now, as that was always part of my trips to Heber as a kid. Happy birthday Josh, can't believe you are 9 already!

Nathan

1 - The birthday boy
2 - the rest of the crew
3 - Heber Valley has moved stuff around since we were last there. Not sure when they got the Utah Railway caboose, sure hope they can paint it again in the classy Gray & Red scheme

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/15 19:00 by atsf121.

Date: 03/01/15 18:59
Re: Fun at the Heber Valley Railroad

While there weren't any trains running, they had their railroad crane loading ties on to a flatcar. While we were there another semi load showed up. After dinner when we drove by, the engine and flatcar were gone, presumably dropping the ties off somewhere down the line but we didn't see them on our drive home. Glad to see they are keeping up the roadbed, even if it's still the "Heber Creeper". We were able to peek in the engine shop and it looked like UP 618 was in the back without it's jacketing. There was another steam engine in front upside down with everything removed, so I have know idea which one that was. Hope things are going well with getting the inspection finished for UP 618, it will be fun to see it running again.

Nathan

1 - Don't know the history on the crane, but it's rather large and had no trouble swinging the loads of ties around
2 - Another view (with much better lighting) of them loading the flat car, looked like they were only loading the one flat
3 - Found this funny little critter outside the shop, appears to be a former airline baggage cart truck

Date: 03/01/15 20:12
Author: miralomarail

That Locomotive Crane appears to be Ex Army , as is some of their Equipment

Date: 03/01/15 21:37
Author: pkwlsn

Hey that's me in the photos unloading the ties! I'm the shorter one. That's cool to see! Any chance you could email me full size copies of those pictures? I don't ever get any shots of me actually working.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/15 21:38 by pkwlsn.

Date: 03/01/15 22:57

pkwlsn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey that's me in the photos unloading the ties!
> I'm the shorter one. That's cool to see! Any
> chance you could email me full size copies of
> those pictures? I don't ever get any shots of me
> actually working.
>
> Posted from Android

Sure, check your PM.

Nathan

Date: 03/02/15 06:02
Author: Bob3985

Nathan,
Good story and do continue to nurture the good side of railroading to your son. I too was bedazzled by trains as I grew up. Much better than play station and such.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/15 07:22 by Bob3985.

Date: 03/02/15 16:20
Author: nycman

Joshua looks like he is enjoying his birthday, and Nathan, you are "training" him right.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0502 seconds