Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Steam & Excursion > granite rock #10

Date: 03/27/15 08:53
granite rock #10
Author: paulp

Date: 03/27/15 11:50
Re: granite rock #10
Author: Worthington_S_A

Anyone know what all was done to her?  I have a certain soft spot for these little Army tankers, or "Yank Tanks", as the Brits called the ones exported to the UK during WWII.

Date: 03/27/15 12:16
Author: Kimball

That is great news!  I stayed a night in a hotel just down the street from the CSRM in late January, and I smelled what I took to be coal smoke one morning!  I guess it wasn't #10, if her first re-fire is yet to happen?

And no, the wife said there was no time to visit the museum.

Date: 03/27/15 13:01
Author: CPRR

This is great news. According to the article, CSRM is the premier RR museum in the US. I thought that was the B&O.....Now if we could only get one of the ATSF locomotives restored for excursions....

Date: 03/27/15 15:05
Author: callum_out

Not to mention the only California state park that makes money. Good to see the 10 running again, still
holding my breath for the 4466 to return.

Out

Date: 03/27/15 17:01
Author: MJV1988

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not to mention the only California state park that
> makes money. Good to see the 10 running again,
> still
> holding my breath for the 4466 to return.
>
> Out
When I was there in Jan. They said she'll never run again because she's a coal burner and the state is so uptight now on clean air. Here she was that day.

Date: 03/27/15 17:18
Author: flash34

And it's impossible to convert it.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/27/15 19:25
Author: callum_out

Not much is impossible, be a perfect candidate for an CNG conversion, be apropos for
Cali.

Out

Date: 03/27/15 20:35
Author: flash34

I guess I veiled my sarcasm a little too well.

Date: 03/28/15 08:36
Author: Hillcrest

flash34 Wrote:
> And it's impossible to convert it.
>
> Posted from iPhone

No, it's true. The oil won't carry up the stoker flights.

Cheers, Dave

Date: 03/28/15 09:05
Author: MJV1988

Hillcrest Wrote:
> flash34 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And it's impossible to convert it.
> >
> > Posted from iPhone
>
>
> No, it's true. The oil won't carry up the stoker
> flights.
>
> Cheers, Dave

Are there any UP switchers around still that were oil burners? I assume they had a vanderbilt tender?

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/15 11:44 by MJV1988.

Date: 03/29/15 19:14
Author: FossBatterson

I remember visiting some family in California in February of 1996. My parents and I were driving by the railroad museum, and the 4466 was fired up. I was only 8 at the time and I told my parents to stop the car, which they did. My dad and I scurried across the platform at the re-creation CP station and were invited up into the cab. There is something about a steam engine at night. They were filming for a Budweiser commercial. I was so proud of myself for memorizing the parts of the engine and the crew was very kind. It's a shame she is sitting, but I get to run another long time 6 drivered California resident, McCloud River Railroad 25. 4466 may be cold at the moment, but she inspired another generation of railfans and may someday inspire more.

Date: 04/03/15 03:10
Author: DNM4TRAINS

i had the good fortune to serve as a fireman for several years on the #10  in the past--as well as  union pacific #4466-which  i  trained on,i was lucky enough  to  fire both coal and oil burners,though no longer an engine crew member   i surely am very happy to see steam return to the ssrr

Date: 04/03/15 16:53
Author: Auburnrail

So here's a photograph and the current status of #10. CSRM in Sacaramento is promising a steam-up next weekend  and final work continues on her.
Of note is the fact that this was rebuilt in a 150 year old shop with (almost) as old tools and lots of enthusiasm from volunteers along with some really knowledgeable
CSRM and State Parks employees.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0629 seconds