Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Steam & Excursion > SP P-8 #2472 doesn't disappoint railfans on warm day on NCRY

Date: 03/28/15 20:43
SP P-8 #2472 doesn't disappoint railfans on warm day on NCRY
Author: weather

The Golden Gate R.R.Museum, seeking a new home, sold out todays three round trips thru Niles Canyon.  A posting on the Sunol depot said Sundays runs are also sold out and the two days at end of May are filling up fast.  An extra car was added to the consist today and its likely that will be done Memorial Weekend as well to accommodate the walk up crowd. It was interesting to see that the majority of folks on the train were families with young children sprinkled with a few rail-fans. However, the crowd along Highway 84 thru Niles Canyon was the largest I have ever seen since the 2472 started operation in the Canyon. I was there early this morning for our yearly FRA mandated Railway Workers Protection class.  The first image shows the GGRM crew getting ready for the morning run at Brightside. A wider shot shows the tight confines of the yard. Legendary Photographer Dick Dorn who donated two red gray-lites to the SP G-9, 3194 was among the folks shooting todays run. 

Date: 03/28/15 20:45
Re: SP P-8 #2472 doesn't disappoint railfans on warm day on NCRY

The next series shows the 2472 running eastbound thru Brightside yard on it first morning round-trip.

Date: 03/28/15 20:51

The next shows shows a run-by in the middle of the Canyon.  The final shot shows the GGRM crew with the grease gun at Sunol after the second run.  No matter where the #2472 moves to here in the Bay Area and Northern California, it will have a first class organization taking the SP P-8 into new territory to be enjoyed by current and future fans.   Text and Photos by Mike Pechner, original member of GGRM, 1977.

Date: 03/28/15 21:32
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Mike ---
Thanks for the great pictures, Mike, and for all that
you do for us.  I hope for the best in our future location.

Ain't she purty?  Such a classic..... :)

Date: 03/28/15 21:48

Thanks, Margret!  For those not familiar with Ms. Monroe, without her help, the 2472 would not have reached ints first incarnation in 1991.  Margret spent many hours on her back laying inside the the very tight confines of the boiler on boiler tubes to scraping and grinding years of sludge and rust from inside the bowels of #2472.  This is much as her engine as it is anybodies.  One of the unsung heros of the restoration of the 2472 along with Mike Mangini.  If it wasn't for him, I am sure the #2472 wouldn't be running today!

Date: 03/29/15 09:15
Author: callum_out

Mike, I really like your Brightside shots, very non-traditional, great angle, and as to the
2472, hope this all comes out in the wash!

Out

Date: 03/29/15 16:08

Thanks Callu_out for the vote of confidence.

Date: 03/29/15 20:31
Author: jimB

Me too on the Brightside Shots! I was there today, great show. Thanks.

Jim B

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0609 seconds