Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Steam & Excursion > Before the collapse, when much was nicer...

Date: 03/30/15 18:23
Before the collapse, when much was nicer...
Author: milfordgap

Pic 1 and 2: 611?? Pic 3: Sorry for the washout. My camera was not working well.

Date: 03/30/15 18:26
Re: Before the collapse, when much was nicer...

From the tour of the B&O Museum during the 1979 NRHS convention.

Date: 03/30/15 18:28

Cheap camera, but fixable if I knew how to use photoshop.

Date: 03/30/15 18:56
Author: Evan_Werkema

milfordgap Wrote:

> Cheap camera, but fixable if I knew how to use photoshop.

The exposure can be fixed pretty well, but there's dust on the slide (black spots) and the scanner's sensor (colored lines) that will take a long time to clone out in Photoshop.  It would be easier and quicker to clean both of those before the scan.

Date: 03/30/15 19:19
Author: Mgoldman

I've been told "It's not preserved until it's under a roof", and that certainly seems the case here.

Nice series of images - it's always interesting to see a visual timeline when it comes to museum pieces.

I'm surprised ClubCar has not yet chimed in, lol.  I have to admit, well... not that it took any
amount of prodding, that it's a travesty to see the American Freedom Train today, sitting
outdoors, practically hidden, forgotten and rusting away when the engine in fact looked as
good as it did in your photo above.  What a loss - to have such a significant piece hidden
in plain sight vs being a major draw for the Museum.

On the other hand, it's nice to see streamlined #490 preserved indoors (though, I'd REALLY
like to see it outdoors on special events so that more then just the nose is visible).  Also,
note that B&O 5300, the "George Washington" is now in much better condition and "displayed"
indoors.  Unfortunately, you will rarely see a photo of it as it is sandwiched between C&O #490
and a platform allowing "better" views to the top of both #5300 and the C&O Allegheny.

Interesting catch on C&O #614 - what is the story behind it's #611 livery?

/Mitch

Date: 03/30/15 19:56
Author: Appalachianrails

Mgoldman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Interesting catch on C&O #614 - what is the story
> behind it's #611 livery?
>
> /Mitch

"In the fall of 1956, just before retirement, it was renumbered 611. The C&O had a power shortage and as a result, leased a number of 4-8-4s from the RF&P, including their 614. To alleviate confusion, a paint brush and chisel were taken to the 614, since the original C&O 611 had already been retired. Thus 614 was retired as 611 and kept that number at the B&O Museum until Ross Rowland got the engine..."

Source: http://www.steamlocomotive.com/northern/?page=co

Date: 03/30/15 20:00

Appalachianrails Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mgoldman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Interesting catch on C&O #614 - what is the
> story
> > behind it's #611 livery?
> >
> > /Mitch
>
> "In the fall of 1956, just before retirement, it
> was renumbered 611. The C&O had a power shortage
> and as a result, leased a number of 4-8-4s from
> the RF&P, including their 614. To alleviate
> confusion, a paint brush and chisel were taken to
> the 614, since the original C&O 611 had already
> been retired. Thus 614 was retired as 611 and kept
> that number at the B&O Museum until Ross Rowland
> got the engine..."
>
> Source: http://www.steamlocomotive.com/northern/?
> page=co

Thank you for the information. Inquiring minds wondered.

Date: 03/31/15 02:34
Author: ClubCar

Thank you milfordgap for your photos.  As Mgoldman mentioned me, I thought I would just state that the photo of the American Freedom Train #1 (ex-Reading 2101) is how this engine should be displayed today.  I will not rant here but believe me; the wrong folks who do not care nor know all the history are in charge of the B&O Railroad Museum right now.

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 04/01/15 18:04
Author: hkyman16

I am in agreement with those here. The B&O Museum in downtown is disheartening to go to than anything else. Almost everything they have displayed - especially in the front parking lot that is post WWI is in extremely poor condition.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.066 seconds