Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Steam & Excursion > And you think the 2101 looks bad now....

Date: 03/31/15 19:11
And you think the 2101 looks bad now....
Author: milfordgap

Silver Grove, KY, 1979. We posted some different pictures from this before. Here are some more to cheer you up. Maybe this is what is coming in Cheyenne.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/15 19:20 by milfordgap.

Date: 03/31/15 19:13
Re: And you think the 2101 looks bad now....

More.

Date: 03/31/15 19:16

Some of the overall devastation. And the local fire department didn't even save the pool, chimney, and basement.

Date: 03/31/15 19:17

The death of a diesel. Where's this running now? Sorry for the dark pictures, but it was raining.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/15 19:18 by milfordgap.

Date: 04/01/15 00:58
Author: OHCR1551

Wow. That third picture of the first set says it all. Was it 152 that was saved during the fire? I thought I had a clever turn of events in my novel, then someone said the scene sounded just like that awful night. I honestly had no idea.

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 04/01/15 02:29
Author: ClubCar

milfordgap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Silver Grove, KY, 1979. We posted some different
> pictures from this before. Here are some more to
> cheer you up. Maybe this is what is coming in
> Cheyenne.

Thanks for sharing your outstanding photos of the tragedy.
Yes, your photos tell the whole story and the 2101 looked sad indeed; however most of the damage turned out to be superficial according to guys that I know who worked on this locomotive.  The main frame was not damaged to where this engine could not have been completely rebuilt.  The engine was cosmetically restored only.  But that was an outstanding job and when the engine was sent to the B&O Railroad Museum it looked terrific and it deserved a place of honor to show the history of this locomotive as both the American Freedom Train and as the Chessie Steam Special celebrating the 150th birthday of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.  The museum management has failed with this project along with so many others.  Trust me; the B&O R.R. Museum Management needs to be replaced with people that really understand the importance of the history of what equipment they have on display including maintaining these historic locomotives and passenger cars.  It takes money; therefore when folks come forward willing to donate money to a project and when folks want to volunteer to work on a historic locomotive or passenger car, the museum should be grateful and accept the money and the help.  The management does not do this and this is the main reason why everything parked outside in the front yard of the museum looks so bad and rusting away.

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 04/10/15 13:34
Author: p51

So, what locomotives were in there during the fire other than 2100 and that diesel?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds