Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Steam & Excursion > Jason Sobczynski and the 2100

Date: 04/21/15 18:49
Jason Sobczynski and the 2100
Author: unseenthings

Just wondering about the guy(and his company Next Generation Steam Service) they put in charge of the 2100. Not a name as familiar or perhaps mentioned as often as Rimmasch, or Rowland or Camp, yet Sobczynski has been attached to several notable projects such as 4501 and WP&Y 60, and others that have yet to get off the ground. Not trying to say anything bad here, just wanting to know what he brings to the table, what he has done, and maybe why other groups would seek NGSS out going forward. 
I'll throw out the estimate for restoring 2100 at 700k for starters.

Date: 04/21/15 19:57
Re: Jason Sobczynski and the 2100
Author: ChooChooDennis

I have met Jason a few times and I can say he is a young, passionate, intelligent steam man. He is the kind of person we need if steam is to last.

Dennis Livesey
New York, NY

Date: 04/21/15 19:59
Author: nkpsteam779

Posting the same reply as you asked the same question on rypn.

I'm curious who you would recommend? We have many folks including Zach and Jason both working on the project. There are many folks in steam who's names are not house hold like Ross and Wes Camp that do excellent work.

Date: 04/21/15 20:00
Author: TrackGuy

Mr. Unseen, if you followed the updates like I did on the 4501 restoration, I think it would remove any doubt from your mind as to Jason's capabilities.  Trust me when I say the selection was not a hasty one.  Suffice it to say he is a capable and qualified welder and machinist.  Regarding the cost of the work, it's really anyone's guess and we'll be the first to admit that.  I don't think anyone really knows what they are getting into until they tear the machine apart and see what they have on their hands.  We are going into this project with our eyes wide open but hoping the surprises are few.  Thank you for your interest in and support of the project and don't forget to contribute if you can at fireup2100.org!

TrackGuy

Date: 04/21/15 23:28
Author: OARC

Jason is a top notch welder.  Amazing fellow.   

The project will be reviewed,  I am sure there are a few quarks to be addressed on the 2100,  once it gets to Cleveland.    Its at that time,  They will make out the list of things to be done.    I remind you all,   Give these A S R  folks some time and space.   Rome was not built in a day.  

Date: 04/22/15 05:02
Author: HotWater

unseenthings Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just wondering about the guy(and his company Next
> Generation Steam Service) they put in charge of
> the 2100. Not a name as familiar or perhaps
> mentioned as often as Rimmasch, or Rowland or
> Camp, yet Sobczynski has been attached to several
> notable projects such as 4501 and WP&Y 60, and
> others that have yet to get off the ground. Not
> trying to say anything bad here, just wanting to
> know what he brings to the table, what he has
> done,

Maybe contact some of the places he has worked and obtain references, if you are that curious.

Date: 04/22/15 06:44
Author: co614

I wish the ASR folks every success. I have worked some with Jason in past years on the NH&I RR and can report that his engineering knowledge of steam is extensive and impressive and his skills to transfer that book knowledge into improvements in hardware form on the locomotive also very solid. I'm confident that he will be a strong participant in this effort.

As to the punch list and costs associated with putting the 2100 back into mainline shape after its years of abuse and misuse in Tacoma,..... that can only be determined AFTER the machine is thoroughly gone through and all components inspected and determined for fitness. Someone threw out a number of 700k as a guesstimate.  That could prove to be close or it could prove to be very low depending on what is discovered by the complete analysis. At this point any guesses are strictly that....... WAG's !!!

I have some thoughts and suggestions on next steps and would like to hear from the project leader via PM to see if I can be of assistance.

Ross Rowland

Date: 04/22/15 09:12
Author: jasonsobczynski

co614 Wrote:
> I wish the ASR folks every success. I have worked
> some with Jason in past years on the NH&I RR and
> can report that his engineering knowledge of steam
> is extensive and impressive and his skills to
> transfer that book knowledge into improvements in
> hardware form on the locomotive also very solid.
> I'm confident that he will be a strong participant
> in this effort.
>
>    As to the punch list and costs associated
> with putting the 2100 back into mainline shape
> after its years of abuse and misuse in
> Tacoma,..... that can only be determined AFTER the
> machine is thoroughly gone through and all
> components inspected and determined for fitness.
> Someone threw out a number of 700k as a
> guesstimate.  That could prove to be close or it
> could prove to be very low depending on what is
> discovered by the complete analysis. At this point
> any guesses are strictly that....... WAG's !!!
>
>    I have some thoughts and suggestions on next
> steps and would like to hear from the project
> leader via PM to see if I can be of assistance.
>
>    Ross Rowland

Thank you, Sir Rowland!

I must say I always enjoyed working with you quite a bit! You're a good fireman, ever willing to learn, very professional, AWESOME sense if humour, full of wonderful accounts of things past and ideas for the future.

I miss working around and hanging out with you!

Cheers, Jason

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/15 09:19 by jasonsobczynski.

Date: 04/22/15 14:00

Like I said, I'm not being critical, nor am I saying it should have been someone else. I'm just asking for references and I got some. Thank-you. 
Jack,I am asking people who have worked with Jason, and receiving replies. Have you worked with him, or just have nothing useful to share?
I believe ASR is going to have plenty of success, they have armed themselves with plenty of resourceful and knowledgeable people. I'm glad that so many of the 765 crew can help out.
There isn't a lot on Google, I thought that maybe by creating a few threads and filling them with positive information they will show up in Google results in the future when other people have questions. I want to create positive exposure because Jason is part of the next generation. Jason, I didn't even know you where on here. Thank-you and I wish you and the others the best of luck. I will be donating to the cause.
I threw out the 700k because I didn’t believe an in-service mainline steamer (4449/765/1225/261) could do a 1475 inspection for under  a million, much less an out of service one. However, Kelly corrected me and said 765 only cost 750k in 2005, and others have stated that 2100 isn’t due for 1475 till 21, so it could be possible.

Date: 04/22/15 14:27

unseenthings Wrote:
> Like I said, I'm not being critical, nor am I
> saying it should have been someone else. I'm just
> asking for references and I got some.
> Thank-you. 
> Jack,I am asking people who have worked with
> Jason, and receiving replies. Have you worked with
> him, or just have nothing useful to share?

I have not "worked with him", nor have I ever even met him, to my knowledge. I only know for a fact that he worked at the NH&I and the Grand Canyon railroads.  All other activities would be hearsay.

Date: 04/22/15 14:33
Author: jasonsobczynski

Hotwater wrote:
> railroads.  All other activities would be
> hearsay.

At some point that should be fixed, hear you have quite intriguing stories/accounts to tell/share.

And yes, I did work at the canyon..... about 3 years to late. Would loved to have worked with Robert while he was still there.

Cheers

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/15 15:00 by jasonsobczynski.

Date: 04/22/15 17:57

HotWater Wrote:
> I have not "worked with him", nor have I ever even
> met him, to my knowledge. I only know for a fact
> that he worked at the NH&I and the Grand Canyon
> railroads.  All other activities would be
> hearsay.

So you wouldn't post hearsay as fact and hang a person's reputation on it would you?

Date: 04/22/15 18:04

unseenthings Wrote:
> HotWater Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have not "worked with him", nor have I ever
> even
> > met him, to my knowledge. I only know for a
> fact
> > that he worked at the NH&I and the Grand Canyon
> > railroads.  All other activities would be
> > hearsay.
>
> So you wouldn't post hearsay as fact and hang a
> person's reputation on it would you?

What exactly are you driving at?

Date: 04/22/15 19:48

Just clarification. I'll follow your lead and not name people or sources directly.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/23/15 13:17
Author: SD45X

Sounds like you're on the witness stand Jack.....

Posted from Android

Date: 05/08/15 08:00
Author: steam290

I have worked with and known Jason for years. When I read he was in charge of this rebuild I knew it would be done right. This guy is and has always been committed to steam and rebuilding things correctly the first time. He gets my vote ten fold.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/08/15 18:41
Author: TrackGuy

Steam290, great to hear your vote of approval and endorsement. Anyone who thinks otherwise has no idea what they are taking about!

TrackGuy

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0674 seconds