Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Steam & Excursion > B & M 3713

Date: 04/24/15 15:53
B & M 3713
Author: WauhopM

Anyone know whats going on with this locomotive?

Date: 04/24/15 16:12
Re: B & M 3713
Author: HotWater

WauhopM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone know whats going on with this locomotive?

Nothing?

Date: 04/24/15 16:18
Author: CPRR

Date: 04/24/15 16:20
Author: WauhopM

Yeah that web site is not exactly a "fountain" of i nformation about how the restoration is progressing (or not).

Date: 04/24/15 16:25
Author: Emmo213

Earlier this week the Lackawanna and Wyoming Valley Railway Historical Society and Steamtown extended their agreement for another 5 years: http://timesleader.com/news/local-news/153048290/

Date: 04/24/15 16:27

Emmo213 Wrote:
> Earlier this week the Lackawanna and Wyoming
> Valley Railway Historical Society and Steamtown
> extended their agreement for another 5
> years: http://timesleader.com/news/local-news/153
> 048290/

Wonder if it will take that long to rework/redo the firebox and thermic siphons. 

Date: 04/24/15 16:42
Author: hkyman16

That guy looks 'ecstatic' to be holding that check..

Date: 04/26/15 16:30
Author: railroadmitch

It is my understanding the rumors about the syphons and side sheets are overblown. It seems someone inside Steamtown was trying to start some trouble. It is my understanding he has been spoken to.

My source also told me Steamtown brought in Strasburg to review the work and they cleared the work as none of the stay bolts were off by more than 15 degrees (amount allowed). It also sounds like the syphons are good, there just need a few welds redone. They are working with contractor that did the work to make the repairs.

It appears all of the rumors were another example of people making claims they could not back up, but where dead set on creating trouble for a contractor they did not like. It sounds like this gentleman wants Steamtown doing the work on the 3713 and not contractors. We are just witnessing politics.

Date: 04/27/15 07:36
Author: tenthovi

“brought in Strasburg to review the work and they cleared the work”

That statement is not necessarily correct, per Kelly Anderson, VP, Strasburg Rail Road.

Date: 04/27/15 07:44

tenthovi Wrote:
> “brought in Strasburg to review the work and
> they cleared the work”
>  
> That statement is not necessarily correct, per
> Kelly Anderson, VP, Strasburg Rail Road.

Just my opinion but, wouldn't you think that some folks from the Mechanical Standards Committee, including the proper FRA and NBIC "boiler experts" would be "brought in"?

Date: 04/27/15 08:37
Author: railroadmitch

I have heard from 2 very reliable sources that someone from Strasburg was brought in. Their comment was that no exceptions were made and the work would pass all form 4 calculations as well as standard practices. (in regards to wapper and side sheet work) The staybolt layout was done off the orginial Lima drawings. 

It was the recomendation that several welds on the Syphons be ground out and rewelded as well as all welds xrayed. There is no reason to scrap the syphons when there is a simple solution.

Why would someone from the standards committee need to be called in for inspection? Like the FRA, they write and interpret the rules but they are not consultants on work in process. At least that is my understanding. Please correct me if I am wrong. If you want a consultant to figure out the form 4 you call a Strasburg or Steam Services Corp.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0349 seconds