Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Steam & Excursion > 1218

Date: 04/25/15 20:56
Author: bankshotone

Anyone know what the condition of NW 1218 is? What is the likely hood of it being restored to steam again?

Date: 04/25/15 21:23
Re: 1218
Author: unseenthings

Yes. Possible. Not likely.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/25/15 22:30
Author: davew833

Date: 04/25/15 22:38
Author: davew833

Here is also a post from a gentleman by the name of Gary Gray from another website. He assisted in getting #1218 ready for display at VMT.

"I spent a few hundred hours helping then-VMT employee Chris McBride get 1218 ready for display in fall 2002 and spring 2003, along with NS retirees Jim Overholser and S.R. Winegard. We worked in the old paint shop at East End Shops where 1218 had been stored. Scott Lindsay came up in November and helped us replace rods and other running gear components. The grates were not installed back in the locomotive, they are in the tender. There is no "pile of guts" inside the boiler, just a straight shot between the new front & back tube sheets. As per the Steve Lee report, the new firebox is in place, but not stayed. Because of time constraints, we focused on what we could do to get her looking good with the time, manpower, and tools available. There were a number of new and used components in 1218's "boxcar" including pistons w/rods, bearings, valves, piping, old superheater components, etc. We did not install the pistons or all of the brake piping. Instead we focused on a very good paint job, the cab interior, and other things easily seen. The engine was to "debut" at the Shop's "open house" Saturday in mid June, then be moved to the Museum for dedication of the new pavilion the following weekend. I took vacation most of the last week of work. We had to paint outside, so 1218 was moved in and out with a trackmobile. We finished painting at midnight on Thursday and 1218 was moved to the Erecting Shop on Friday."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/15 22:39 by davew833.

Date: 04/25/15 23:03
Author: Finderskeepers

"NS's entire stock of flues, tubes, and superheater material was sold; most of it went to scrappers because it was odd-sized and not of use on any locomotives now running or under restoration. Some of the appliances (injector, air pumps, lubricators, water pump, dynamo, etc) now on the engine are shells, put back on for appearance only. The appliances that had been rebuilt brought a much higher price at the auction than would empty shells, of course, and no one at the auction could stand the thought of fully-rebuilt appliances being put on a locomotive that probably won't run again for many years, if at all.

As noted, N&W used a lot of odd-sized stuff, including odd-sized staybolts and odd-sized flues and superheater units. Because these things weren't adaptable to any other locomotives out there now, the scrappers got it all. Of course, this stuff can be made new again from scratch.

IMHO, NS could have simply scrapped the 1218 and all the machines, parts, tools and supplies at the end of the program. Instead, they spent some money putting 1218 back together, and made the other stuff available to other users. Contrary to popular belief, they did not make much, if any, money on the auction sale when all things are considered, and much of that stuff is being used all over the country now to keep other engines going and even to help in some restorations. AFAIK, no one has ever given them any credit for that.

Steve Lee"

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/15 09:27 by Finderskeepers.

Date: 04/26/15 12:00
Author: welchblvd

Here's my thinking (and of course I'm no expert):

Let's assume:

1) VMT's shop gets built and the creation of the endowment is successful.
2) VMT operating big steam over NS around Roanoke becomes a going thing, say 3-5 weekends per year (along the lines of the schedule we've seen for this summer).

If those are both true, it would seem to me that restoring 1218 would be possible in the years leading up to 611's boiler time expiring (2029 or so?), such that VMT could have 1218 running when 611 goes down.

Let's just say I'm a massive 1218 fan and I'm kinda clinging to the faint hope the above happens. :)

Date: 04/26/15 17:26
Author: PeaBock619

I remember that people would ask, "Would 611 ever run again?", when people would doubt 611 would ever return to steam. Today, 611 is comng back to steam. With 611 back in steam, people will start asking if 1218 will return. I wouldn't be suprised if a "Fire Up 1218" happens one day. Never say Never, dreams do come true

Date: 04/27/15 11:19
Author: tcarl

. . . and  then 2156 . . .

Date: 04/27/15 22:49
Author: ProAmtrak

At least you got people who did this and did it right, I'm happy for you easterners, enjoy 611's comeback!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0674 seconds