Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Steam & Excursion > Going to see 611

Date: 04/28/15 07:22
Going to see 611
Author: daylightfan

Is anyone from midwest going to see 611 run? Which trip are you going to chase?

Date: 04/28/15 07:33
Re: Going to see 611
Author: OKTrainboys

There is a Jim Wrinn photo charter at the Spencer NC roundhouse on May 28th, two days before her triumphant return to Roanoke in steam. Tanner and I have tickets....it includes a photo runby with her Tuscan red passenger cars. This looks to be sort of a semi exclusive party with presentations by Claytor and others. Night photo session on the turntable too. Tickets are still available thru the North Carolina museum of transport web site. Hoping to see Durango and others there! Ross, if you are going to be there, we would very much like to spend a bit of time with you!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/15 07:36 by OKTrainboys.

Date: 04/28/15 07:51
Author: andersonb109

No thanks. Far too many people for a proper charter. Hopefully something can eventually be worked out for a smaller group of only serious photographers. As for chasing....does anyone know if the trips will include a diesel in the consist? If so, I fail to see the point. Having observed some non-organized chases from on board they also look like an accident waiting to happen. That said, I must say chasing the Daylight across Montana a few years back, even with Amtrak tucked in behind was very enjoyable and produced good results. Surprisingly there weren't many on the roads that day.But with all the 611 publicity and interest, I wouldn't be surprised the roads will be quite chaotic.

Date: 04/28/15 08:00
Author: Emmo213

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  As for chasing....does anyone know
> if the trips will include a diesel in the consist?
> If so, I fail to see the point.

The point would be seeing one of the finest steam locomotives under steam.

I enjoy taking pictures but now with the Internet there are so many ways to get better pictures than anything I'll ever take. It's actually quite nice because instead of being stuck behind a camera trying to get the perfect shot I can enjoy the experience as it's happening.

Date: 04/28/15 08:01
Author: OKTrainboys

Um, and Jim Wrinn and company are not a serious photographers? There is a chance you might be missing the entire point of this 5.28.15 event at the Spencer Roundhouse......Ross, if you are planning on going, a topic we would very much like to hear your thoughts on would be the final modifications on the SAR class 25 NC to class 26 NC Red Devil and your attempts to bring some of this last gasp of Steam technology to CO 614. 

Date: 04/28/15 08:06
Author: daylightfan

They are a lot of crazy chasers out there! I've only been on two chases following 765 and 844, but these people can get nuts sometimes.

Date: 04/28/15 08:28
Author: NCDOTF59

I kinda wish the donors presale for the excursions had only been a couple of days instead of a week, looks like cheap seats will be gone by May 6th. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/15 08:28 by NCDOTF59.

Date: 04/28/15 09:23
Author: train671

I was excited but skeptical when the 611 was first mentioned as a candidate to be restored and brought back to life.  I couldn't
imagine it being available this quick and with quite a hard schedule of activities that the public can participate in both by
paying and just being at trackside as she comes blasting by.  I have no doubt that trying to get many good quality shots with
the masses out and about will be a challenge BUT it is still a joyous miracle that 611 will be back on the "high iron" thanks
to lots of folks who worked very hard to make this happen.  Thanks to you all for all your hard work.  I will certainly look
forward to seeing lots of shots here on "Trainorders."  Many years ago I "intended" to see the 611 in action but just put it
off.  To my lasting regret, one day she was no more and I had missed a great opportunity.  Don't put off what you can do
today and in this case the 611 will live for another day for all those who want to see history come alive.

Date: 04/28/15 11:02
Author: CGTower

There have been "crazy chasers" since the dawn of fan trips...I find it funny that people are all worried about this now. Have you looked at old photos of excursions? Sure, the styles of dress have changed, but the insanity is just as rampant! :)

CG Tower

Date: 04/28/15 11:47
Author: Narr8rdanny

Sorry guys, but the insanity is what attracts me to all this.
I'd love to go on the photo charter, but can't make the 28th.
Is the move to Virginia definitely happening on the 30th?
That's the one I want to do. Does anyone have any details on the routing?

Thanks,

Danny Harmon
Tampa

Date: 04/28/15 12:30
Author: Railfan94

Yes, definitely leaving Spencer on May 30, going up the old Southern Mainline to Lynchburg, VA then turning west out the Blue Ridge District to Roanoke. Myself and a fellow railfan will be chaisng the entire way and have already mapped out a route. Speed for the 611 is restricted to 40mph so chasing him from place to place won't be but so difficult. 

Date: 04/28/15 12:41
Author: Vanakatherock

I will probably go see 611 on May 30th. Catch her leaving Spencer and then a short chase to one or two spots north of town. Not going to follow the entire route.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/15 12:42 by Vanakatherock.

Date: 04/28/15 14:32
Author: nycman

Mike, you and Tanner have tickets to the photo shoot and NOT the Hands-On-Throttle experience?????

Date: 04/28/15 17:49
Author: PeaBock619

Im from California, and I'm hoping a friend and I fly out there to see it

Date: 04/28/15 19:54
Author: theironhorse

Yup.  Got my ticket for the 28th. Chasing on the 30th.  

The Iron Horse

Date: 04/28/15 20:35
Author: lapklub

I would have liked to do the Special for 611 on May 28th but $250.00 was a little steep for my buget.  I know it;s for a good cause and all.  That price will weed out most.  I do hope everything goes well.  I'm going to have to wait till Sat to see her strut her stuff. 
Mike 

Date: 04/29/15 09:02
Author: BNSFDS

daylightfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is anyone from midwest going to see 611 run? Which
> trip are you going to chase?

Myself and possibly another fellow Texan/TO member are on chasing a couple of the trips she's making between Manassas and Front Royal, VA in early June. I won't be able to shoot her all weekend due a family obligation just across the Potomac River in Maryland that Sunday afternoon.

BNSFDS

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0495 seconds