Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Steam & Excursion > And Only Two Turned Away - NKP 759

Date: 05/23/15 18:42
And Only Two Turned Away - NKP 759
Author: refarkas

How captivating is a live mainline steam locomotive? If you look closely, many cameras and all but one pair of eyes were on NKP 759 as she steamed east out of Conneaut, Ohio on September 8, 1968. This was NKP 759's first excursion after restoration, and the ex-NKP bridge made a perfect photo prop. How majestic she looked that day!
Bob

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/15 13:09 by refarkas.

Date: 05/23/15 18:58
Re: And Only One Turned Away - NKP 759
Author: Auburn_Ed

Might be two.  The guy is checking the gal's rack.

Ed

Date: 05/23/15 23:12
Author: GN599

I noticed that Oldsmobile that's front and center has a big ol CB whip on her. Or did they have scanners then? Maybe it's a 1960's super foamer mobile!

Date: 05/23/15 23:35
Author: lwilton

I'm not sure it is CB. It is about half as long as I'd expect unless it has a heck of a big base-loading coil.

And yes, there are definitely two people not looking at the train. Possibly even a third, but you can't see enough of him/her to be real sure.

Date: 05/24/15 05:42
Author: wcamp1472

To me, it looks like the driver of the car wants to pick-up the chase, and is trying to get the car loaded --- including the two with their backs to the train.  The driver, I think is cajoling them to load-up quickly & get a jump on the chase crowd.  
He wants to get going, NOW!

That was a memorable trip, it's where young Doyle first got to help bring his favorite NKP Berks come back to life, in roaring style!
She taught the whole High Iron Co. Engine crew a whole lot of life lessons, brought smiles to millions
and launched more than 2 generations of devoted steam mechanics and crews ---- across the nation!

Doyle's about to fire-up the magnificent 4449, a far cry from almost 60 years ago!
Go, Doyle!

Scott Lindsay was just a youngster on these trips and a volunteer, hard-working mascot and dedicated crew member at polishing her side rods.
Scott is now celebrating HIS revival of another Queen of the Rails, N&W's 611, and her restoration to mainline trips.
Thank you, Scott for your lifetime of tireless dedication and hard work!  Once steam gets in your blood, you're hooked for life.

These two Masters, and their engines, are about to launch whole new crowds of chasers, many doing what those folks back in '68 were off to do!

Wes C.

PS,
Ross founded the High Iron Compny in 1966, with two weekends of unforgettable, wide-open, CNJ trips ----- from  Communipaw, NJ out the mainline. 
That 60-year Anniversary of the founding of HICO is right around the corner.  Had Ross not started that effort, we would have had virtually NOTHING, for main line steam, for lo, these many years.
 He's on the cusp of another Adventure & Triumph.  Watch this space!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/15 09:15 by wcamp1472.

Date: 05/24/15 12:39
Author: steamfan759

Hi Wes -  You brought back some great memories.  Our family was on the first High Iron Co. fantrip in 1966.  That was when Ross was living in North Plainfield, NJ.  That was a great trip with 1278 (127) and I believe that Nelson Blount was down for that trip.  You also remember turning that locomotive and the 759 on the old turntable at Jim Thorpe!!  I am enclosing a photo of some glasses that Nancy Laessle gave me a few months ago.  Jim had passed away in December 2014.  I had just graduated from high school when I rode the trip to Bridgeton, NJ behind 1286.  When I tell people about it today, they cannot believe it when you see the condition of the track today.  If it had not been for Ross and the High Iron Company, I would have NEVER had the experiences that I enjoyed.  My son keeps telling me about everything that he missed!!!

Ron

Date: 05/24/15 13:12
Author: refarkas

I changed the title. There is another man in the shadows. Sorry for not being able to count above one.
Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0513 seconds