Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Steam & Excursion > Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes #10

Date: 05/24/15 23:46
Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes #10
Author: Boiler_Blowdown

Hi all,

I am looking for any info (drawings, builder's photos, operational photos etc.) of Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes #10 for a live steam project. If someone can either direct me to where I could find these items (besides eBay) or perhaps send me some info, that would be absolutely fantastic.

Thanks in advance!

~Luke

Date: 05/25/15 03:11
Re: Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes #10
Author: SR-RL_Nr_10

There is a scale drawing drafted by the absolute dean of locomotive drawings, H. Temple Crittenden, with all the dimensions of Nr. 10 in the "Plans" Appendix of Two Feet Between the Rails Vol. II, page 390.  The Baldwin Erecting Card numbers are 8949 for Elevation and the Sections card number is 8950. Of note both the B&H locomotives Nr. 7 and Nr. 8 were built to the same plans as the SR&RL Nr 10 with minor differences, mainly 35" drivers vice the 36" drivers of Nr. 10.

Edited to add:

Regarding photos and history, Robert C. Jones Two Feet Between the Rails Vol I & II is the definitive history of the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes railroad (book prices are down from a couple of years ago).  There are a lot of photos of Nr. 10 and the other SR&RL locomotives as well as the corprate history.  Something unique to his treatment is the collection of the "stories of railroading," operational memories, high jinks, and scary moments, while operating the "Two Footer."  An Amazon search on Mr. Jones will also provide lots of other reading about the Maine two footers.

As search on Amazon for "The Two Footers" will bring up most of the other books written about the Maine two foot guage railroads. The only book it misses is H. T. Crittenden's 1942 The Two Footers which is listed as "Bulletin No. 57" of the "Railway & Locomotive Historical Society."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/15 04:04 by SR-RL_Nr_10.

Date: 05/25/15 06:13
Author: Labby

Here is some visual inspiration for your project. 1/3 scale.  Have fun!

Date: 05/26/15 05:38
Author: steamoil

Additionally, you may find Don Young's series on building Lucky 7 helpful.
It appeared monthly in Live Steam from 1977-1980.
Maybe you've seen it by now....?
Best wishes with the project.
Mat Anderson

Date: 05/27/15 13:02
Author: Kimball

There is a fellow named D. R.  (PM me) who built one and ran it often a the LA Live Steamers in the 1980's?  He now has a private track in the Ca gold country, I think?  He posts on the Chaski Live Steam board.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0498 seconds