Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Steam & Excursion > A most amazing machine

Date: 05/27/15 17:52
A most amazing machine
Author: OKTrainboys

Tanner and I have arrived in Spencer for tomorrow's NCTM/Jim Wrinn photo charter. The J is simmering with 85% site glass, 285 pounds of boiler pressure, and a tender filled with coal. Over 100 participants coming tomorrow including one person from japan. We saw her cold in Roanoke 2 years ago, but under steam, all polished up....a most amazing machine! Congrats to the crew.....stunning.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/15 18:10 by OKTrainboys.

Date: 05/27/15 18:04
Re: A most amazing machine
Author: HotWater

Looks like they sure have enough coal piled high in the tender.

Date: 05/27/15 19:32
Author: tomstp

It sure didn't take long to get her in steam.

Date: 05/27/15 19:35

Date: 05/27/15 19:38
Author: HotWater

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It sure didn't take long to get her in steam.

Well, not considering the fund raising involved, she was operated and maintained properly, then she was "put away" properly, and then the same folks who "put her away' and used to maintain and operate her, worked to put her back in service. What a novel idea!

Date: 05/27/15 19:46
Author: Txhighballer

Hope they have a great trip tomorrow...I assume 611 is pulling a matched set of cars, but how far are they going?

Date: 05/27/15 20:55
Author: px320

Sure would like to take the Pony Express for a ride behind that gorgeous machine

Date: 05/28/15 06:25
Author: dpudave

Hot Water nailed it.  There's such a thing as "institutional memory," a concept lost on some. Congratulations to all involved with this "amazing machine," and thanks for the great photos. Have any more? Dave

Date: 05/28/15 10:22

Here is a turntable pic from this morning...

Date: 05/28/15 11:46
Author: CPRR

What a fantastic machine!!! Can not wait to see photos when posted.

Thank you to the NS, the crew who brought her back to life, and everyone else involved.

Now if only Omaha was paying attention.....

Date: 05/29/15 01:43
Author: DNRY122

The turntable photo reminds me of when one of my daughters came home from elementary school back around 1968-70.  She was all excited because the class had seen an instructional film about railroads, and she commented, "It must have been an awfully old movie, because it showed a steam locomotive turning on a turntable."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds