Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Steam & Excursion > The day Challenger 3985 came alive

Date: 06/29/15 13:09
The day Challenger 3985 came alive
Author: Copy19

In March, 1981 Union Pacific Challenger 3985 was steamed up and ready to make a test run from Cheyenne down to LaSalle, CO and back. A group of volunteer Union Pacific employees had succeeded in making a dream come true by removing the locomotive from display near the Cheyenne depot and restoring it to operating condition.  A company photographer was there to record the happy day.

In the first photo the employees gather alongside to look at their handiwork.  That's young Steve Lee, then road foreman of engines in Cheyenne, in the center wearing the dark jacket with the white sleeve stripe.  Hopefully Bob Krieger can jump in and ID the others.  Also Bob, how long did it take from the first day of work to the steam up?  I recall it was remarkably fast.

The second shot I call "It's ALIVAA!"  The third view is the fireman's side.

It was the beginnning of "something big"...

Date: 06/29/15 13:54
Re: The day Challenger 3985 came alive
Author: Bob3985

Thanks for posting the memorable photos John. It was the culmination of quite a feat between working on 3985, working at the railroad and some rest time. It was almost a three year intense project that came to completion with the test fire up in January 1981 with the directors in town as well. I remember after hand firing the ole gal for a couple of hours we finally got enough pressure to get the stoker to turn. Among the distinguished guests was Henry Kissinger with whom they took my photo for the press releases.
Ok here goes from front to rear;
Craig Ringgenberg, Project head John Boehner, Some UP staff man (maybe Bob Marquardt, Steve Lee, Tim Grotheer, RickSteele and finally Lynn Nystrom.
There were a few others of us there but we were lubing the other side.
Those were good memories in our lives. CMO Frank Accord ran the 3985 with Jim Duncan firing for him. He ran it hard to LaSalle Colorado and return. We ended up with a few repairs to make but it was ready for the doouble head departure to Sacramento at the end of April. Six of us from the committe were chosen to travel along to service the locomotives during the trips. What a great adventure and that eventually lead to being selected to be a part of the regular crew in 1989.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 06/29/15 14:30
Author: Copy19

Bob Krieger wrote:  It was almost a three year intense project that came to completion with the test fire up in January 1981

No wonder it seemed fast.  I didn't start with Union Pacific until April 1980.  I don't recall being aware of the project before then.
JB

Date: 06/29/15 14:44
Author: Bob3985

We started in 1979 John. It was concieved at a Christmas party in Nystrom's home in 1978. The 3985 was in the best condition of the available locomotives in Cheyenne or immediate area at that time. We were very fortunate to have VP-Bob Richmond's and President John Kenefick's approval to go ahead with the restoration. John Boehner and Don Ringstadt spearheaded the project with a bevy of volunteers. Recently I was given a box of items which contained John's project log book.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/15 14:44 by Bob3985.

Date: 06/29/15 15:29
Author: nycman

Great photos, John.  What a fine locomotive.  I only saw her run three times, at Railfair 91, Railfair 99, and in a chase from Victorville to Barstow in 94, all in California.  Thanks, Bob, Steve, and everyone else who brought her back to life.  Let's hope that someday she will run again.

Date: 06/29/15 19:40
Author: jethat

The really cool thing about the 3985 restoration was the fact that is was a mostly volunteer effort. Those are the guys who forged the UP steam program for the next 3 decades.
That's what makes Ed Dickens slander of them so obscene.

Date: 06/30/15 00:43
Author: alco636

Simply awesome. Thanks to all who brought the 3985 back to life, and kept her going.

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 07/04/15 20:02
Author: ProAmtrak

Great pics, and Bob, all I can say is that double header in 81 with 8444 sure had a lot of people get up bright and early (remembering this from my video "the Battle up Sherman Hill" ) and every year since until Mr. Know it all showed up and she's been sitting in the roundhouse since 2011! Be great to see her steam again!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0562 seconds