Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Steam & Excursion > Time For Logging Loco Break

Date: 06/30/15 10:46
Time For Logging Loco Break
Author: CrudPunko

Back on 2/2/2015 I posted a couple of photos in b&w St. Regis Paper Co. Shay No. 7.
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3651337,3651948#msg-3651948

In scouring my Jim Wren collection looking for additional West Side Lumber photos for a second photo disc, I discovered a third photo of No 7. This 2x2" slide is in the 2 1/4" format and was made in April of 1964. My question is, does anyone know the approximate locaiton of this photo? Is the body of water the Klickitat River?

I also found this 2x2" slide also taken in the 2 1/4" format of Rayonier 110 at Grays Harbor on July 7, 1959. I'd like to know more about this locomotive and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. 

I hope you all enjoy these two classic logging company photos and thanks in advance for any additional info..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/15 10:52 by CrudPunko.

Date: 06/30/15 10:55
Re: Time For Logging Loco Break
Author: HotWater

Very nice. I visited both places in the spring of 1963, and have give all my 4X5 negatives to Martin Hanson. Maybe he'll post some views when he gets them scanned.

Date: 06/30/15 14:07
Author: LoggerHogger

Ken,

The KL&L photo is taken at the log pond at Klickitat.  The pond was fulled with water from the Klicitat River.

Rayonier #110 was built as #110 for Weyerhaeuser Timber Co.  She was sold to Rayonier in the early 1950's.  Today she operates at Black Hills Central in South Dakota.  The photo of her was taken at Railroad Camp north of Hoquium, WA.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/15 15:21 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 06/30/15 14:55
Author: roustabout

#2 appears to have been taken at Railroad Camp.

Date: 06/30/15 16:40

Martin, thanks for the added info. This is very helpful. The former Rayonier engine must be the other ariculated tank loco operating in the US besides Clover Valley No. 4?

Date: 07/01/15 03:39

That is right Ken.  Right now they are the only 2 articulated engines running in the US.

Martin

Date: 07/01/15 05:56
Author: A-1

Won't let me post photos from my phone, but track is still in place at the log dump pond in Klickitat.

EDIT: Loggerhogger, the log pond at the Klickitat mill was probably created by damming Snyder Creek, which flows through the mill site.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/15 10:38 by A-1.

Date: 07/01/15 11:22

Thank you to all of you who filled in the blanks on these photos. The photographer, Jim Wren, passed away back in 1968 and I came into his collection via my sister-in-law who happens to be his daughter! Prior to becomming the caretaker of the collection I had never heard of James C Wren. But because he died when I was still in college, and no one else in his family is a railfan, I'm left to piece together the stories behind his photos.

The irony of all this is I have abiout 300 Wren West Side photos yet I know very little about the operation. I just came into Allan Krieg's book "Last Of The 3 Foot Loggers" so that's a start. If anyone can recommend other books I will try to hunt those down too.

As an FYI, I now offer a pair of photo discs of Jim's efforts, one on the West Side and the other on the Pickering Lumber operation. Each disc includes an HTML photo album so one can use their web browswer to page through the photos. I just finished scanning another 130 plus photos froma black & white album I discovered and will be releasing a West Side Lumber Vol II later this month. Some of these new photos were oublished in Allan Krieg's "Last Of The 3 Foot Loggers."

So thanks again to all the TO members who are helping me appreciate all the logging railroad images I am now scanning and cataloging.

:-)

Date: 07/01/15 12:04
Author: wingomann

CrudPunko Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Martin, thanks for the added info. This is very
> helpful. The former Rayonier engine must be the
> other ariculated tank loco operating in the US
> besides Clover Valley No. 4?

Are the two mallets sister engines or based on the same plans?  They look very simular.

Date: 07/01/15 12:08
Author: CPRR

A-1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Won't let me post photos from my phone, but track
> is still in place at the log dump pond in
> Klickitat.
>
> EDIT: Loggerhogger, the log pond at the Klickitat
> mill was probably created by damming Snyder Creek,
> which flows through the mill site.
>
> Posted from Android

I Googled mapped (satellite view), and I concur it was Snyder Creek. You can see the dam north of the mill site. There is also a road next to the hwy called "company rd", which I assume was the old ROW. What is the history of this rail line, and did it have outside connections?

Excellent photographs

Date: 07/01/15 13:47

I've hiked from the reload site up the canyon down Company Road(the old ROW) and it WAS a decent road except a few washouts until last year. Pretty much all of the old ROW has been returned to natural profile by means of heavy excavators. You can still float the river(which is a lot of fun) but a hike down the old ROW would be tough now.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/01/15 18:16

As far as its history, it was built in the early 40's and was all Shay(and one Willamette) until converted to truck use in 1964, if I remember correctly. Before that, there was a switchback line up Snyder Canyon up onto the plateau northwest of Klickitat. And before that, an incline railway up onto the plateau. A friend of mine knows some of the forest road numbers that used to be spurs off the line past the reload site along Glenwood Highway. The shop building(with rails still in the floor of one bay) at the reload is now home to a neat little sawmill. It used a steam tractor boiler and cut some new timbers for the USS Constitution "a while back" according to one of its operators.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/02/15 05:20

Ken,

If you want other reading on the West Side Lumber Co. you should get both of Mal Farrell's books on the subject -- West Side Narrow Gauge In the Sierras -- West Side Pictorial.  Also the book by Hungrywolf called Rails In The Mother Lode.

Martin

Date: 07/02/15 08:53

Martin, thanks for the titles - I will see if I can hunt those down.

Ken

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0634 seconds