Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Steam & Excursion > They Make the NKP 765 Go

Date: 07/28/15 02:17
They Make the NKP 765 Go
Author: SDP40F600

In this thread I want to pay tribute to the folks who make the Nickel Plate Road No. 765 operate by focusing on them and not the locomotive itself. They are the volunteers of the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society and the employees of Norfolk Southern who oversee the safe movement of the 765 and its train on ferry moves and during excursions. All of these images were made in Ashtabula, Ohio, on July 23 during a ferry move of the 765 from Cleveland to Youngstown, Ohio. The Berkshire had pulled into a siding to get a new NS pilot crew before moving onto the Youngstown Line.

Photo 1: The engineer leans out the cab window to talk with an NS employee on the ground. He very much looks the part of a steam locomotive engineer.

Photo 2: The new pilot crew and various supervisors conduct a job briefing.

Photo 3: The two members of the new pilot crew walk toward their train in a time-honored ritutal. But this one is different. Perhaps these guys have never gone to work aboard a steam locomotive and may never have that experience again. I don't know how NS chooses members of the pilot crews, but I would think it is an experience that these guys will always remember. It may be time to go to work.

Date: 07/28/15 02:20
Re: They Make the NKP 765 Go
Author: SDP40F600

Photo 4: A member of the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society crew leans out the tool car and looks ahead toward an approaching Norfolk Southern freight train, the 145. NKP 765 and its train had to wait for the 145 to clear before proceeding out of Ashtabula and on to Youngstown.

Photo 5: An NS supervisor climbs the ladder to board the NKP 765. Note how his safety vest reflects on the side of the locomotive tender.

Photo 6: Even an engineer has to eat every once in a while. The hogger aboard the NKP 765 grabs a bit of a sandwich while awaiting the highball to continue on to Youngstown.

Date: 07/28/15 05:39
Author: Tominde

Very nicely done.   How is the NS crew selected?      What is the total number of crew in the cab?   Are those new coal bunkers really just space for all of those "grips"?     Thanks for doing this thread.

Date: 07/28/15 05:50
Author: HotWater

Tominde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nicely done.   How is the NS crew
> selected? 

If you mean the NS Pilot Crew, they are simply next in rotation for any road job. If you mean the 765 operating crew, they are all members of the Ft Wayne RR Historical Society, and their Engineers are all "certified" by NS/FRA.

What is the total number of
> crew in the cab? 

That may depend on whether a manager is also present but, generally: 765 Engineer, 765 Fireman, NS Pilot Engineer or Conductor (they might switch off occasionally), and maybe an NS manager (Trainmaster, or Road Foreman of Engines).

Are those new coal bunkers
> really just space for all of those
> "grips"?  

How about 6 tons of additional coal.

Thanks for doing this thread.

Date: 07/28/15 06:37
Author: railroadmitch

The engineer in the pictures (in the cab) is Gary Bensmen. Gary has been with the 765 since the early 70's. Gary is arguably the most expirenced steam contractor in the US. There are very few locomotives (especially mainline locomotives) Gary has not worked on at some point in his 40+ years.

I also saw Rich Melvin in the photos on the ground with the NS crews getting their breifings. Rich has been involved since the early 80's and was trained as an engineer by Gary on the 765. (Although I do believe he ran the 4070 before the 765) Rich also serves as the Operations Manager for the 765.

The other crew leaning out the crew car is Rachel Weibel. She has been around for a couple years and I belive has done some firing and spends quite a few weekends working on the engine in Fort Wayne. The group did a nice video on her not too long ago, I believe it is on their website.

Date: 07/28/15 09:00
Author: Rich_Melvin

You have shown a few members of a truly GREAT team! There are also many others on the 765 crew who contribute hundreds of hours of their time each year to working on the 765 at the shop and crewing her when on the road.

Working the road with a steam locomotive today is not an easy task, especially on long deadhead moves. A great example was the move to Buffalo yesterday. The 765 got into Bison Yard around midnight, yet a couple of the crew had to be back at work the next morning...in Fort Wayne! Those folks did not get a lot of rest that night.

Norfolk Southern hand picks the crews for these special trains. The NS crew members and company officers that have crewed these trains have all been a genuine pleasure to work with.

The 21st Century Steam Program at Norfolk Southern is run by some of the best railroaders I have ever had the pleasure to work with. They are a group of enthusiastic railroad professionals who know their railroad and are dedicated to making the program succeed. So far, they have done a marvelous job!

Working with Norfolk Southern on the 21st Century Steam Program has been the biggest and best opportunity that the Fort Wayne RR Historical Society has ever had. Because of this marvelous opportunity, the 765's mechanical future is on very solid ground.

We (the 765 crew) long ago made it our mission to be the best all-volunteer main line steam crew in the country. We have assembled a wonderful group of men and women who are dedicated to that goal. We will continue to hit that mark as we run the remaining trips we have on the schedule for the summer of 2015.

Rich Melvin
Columbus, OH
My Web Site

Date: 07/28/15 19:29
Author: drfunk411

Rich,

You guys make many people happy by working together and running that locomotive every year. I thank you and all the crew for your hard work. I rode the Buffalo to Corning trips in 85-86. 30 years later I chased the 765 on the same tracks I grew up next too. As I was about to leave to chase the 765 up the lake from Westfield on I paused and tried to enjoy the excitement and anticipation.
Thanks for making dreams come true!

Karl Antos

Posted from Android

Date: 07/28/15 19:36
Author: mdogg

The Nickel Plate Berks are great pieces of engineering, and they look and sound wonderful too! 

But, what makes me love the 765 even more is the FWRHS team, as she'd be stuffed and mounted if it were not for this group.  This all-volunteer group is nothing short of incredible in what they have accomplished in the past, and what they continue to accomplish. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/15 19:39 by mdogg.

Date: 07/29/15 09:50
Author: wabash2800

Wow, Gary certainly has aged and put on some weight since I worked with him on the original 765 crew back in the late 70s and 80s. (I haven't aged much. <G>)  Most of us were not allowed to ride the train to the departure point. For example, when we did the Bellevue-Orville Days, we had to drive to Bellevue. I remember bringing my Army sleeping bag with me and storing it in the crew car. Somoene stole it. So not all volunteers are reputable. But still, it was a fun experience.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/15 08:22 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.071 seconds