Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Steam & Excursion > The (Colorful) Cripple Creek & Victor

Date: 08/01/15 13:05
The (Colorful) Cripple Creek & Victor
Author: CPengineer

I spent some time in Cripple Creek, Colorado, a few weeks ago shooting the Cripple Creek & Victor.  This is a 2-foot-gauge line that operates over the old Midland Terminal roadbed between Cripple Creek and Anaconda.  (Actually, the railroad used to go to Anaconda.  Mining activity in the area has shortened the ride some in recent years).  This isn't everyones cup of tea - the engines are painted in bright colors for the tourists - but it's still authentic coal fired narrow gauge steam. 

The locomotives that were in used during my visit were CCV No. 2, a 1948 Henschel (German) 0-4-0T converted into an American-style 0-4-0, and No. 3, a Porter 0-4-0T that worked in Mexico.  The ride is a little less that four miles round trip, and the engines work hard leaving Cripple Creek.  

1. Both locomotives are under steam at Cripple Creek's ex-F&CC station (from Bull Hill) early in the morning.

2. No. 3 leaves the station to blow down on the wye...it will then return to pull the first train of the day. 

3.  No. 2 has had its tanks removed and a tender added.  

Date: 08/01/15 13:07
Re: The (Colorful) Cripple Creek & Victor

4. First train of the day is on the outskirts of Cripple Creek.  

5.  No. 2, formerly named the "Montezuma," rolls on the old Midland Terminal grade below Poverty Gulch

6. No. 3 steaming out of town with the second trip of the morning. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/15 13:11 by CPengineer.

Date: 08/01/15 13:09

7. Number 3 working upgrade leaving Cripple Creek.  

8.  Number 2 steams through a rock cut on the way back to town.

9.  Number 3 at the same location, from the other side of the tracks. 

Date: 08/01/15 13:38
Author: callum_out

At one time they had an operating articulated, guess it's still around. Yah the ride shortening was
always interesting, tourist line in ghost mining town gets shortened by mining operation!

Out

Date: 08/01/15 14:05
Author: andersonb109

Nice photos. Too bad the locos look like...well...a tourist operation. Why can't they at least try to run something that looks somewhat authentic. 

Date: 08/01/15 14:07

I don't really mind the tourist colors...both of these locomotives were painted the same way when I first rode the line in 1981 (I was six).   Sometimes you can relive some of your childhood memories.   

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/15 14:07 by CPengineer.

Date: 08/01/15 16:08
Author: MojaveBill

Amen!!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/01/15 20:07
Author: RuleG

Cripple Creek and Victor are worth a visit for anyone interested in Western mining, labor and railroad history. 

The Colorado Midland Terminal Depot in Cripple Creek is now the Cripple Creek District Museum.

Preservation of the Cripple Creek Depot

My drive from Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek was very scenic, too.

Date: 08/02/15 08:08
Author: BAB

Oh well at least its steam running still will visit if I am able to get that far east.
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice photos. Too bad the locos look
> like...well...a tourist operation. Why can't they
> at least try to run something that looks somewhat
> authentic. 

Date: 08/03/15 15:59
Author: 7230west

How did you get permission to take those first two photos?  They would not allow me to be on that side of the tracks.

Date: 08/04/15 04:50

I asked if I could.  They said yes.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0576 seconds