Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Steam & Excursion > Diesel takes a back seat to steam - GVRR 2248

Date: 08/01/15 20:54
Diesel takes a back seat to steam - GVRR 2248
Author: kenfl9

I had just finished running an errand this afternoon in Saginaw, TX north of Fort Worth when I remembered reading earlier this week that the Grapevine Vintage Railroad would be operating ex-SP 4-6-0 #2248 every Saturday during August.  It had been several years since I had  #2248 operate before it had mechanical issues and was out of service for an extended period before returning from repairs to now operate on an irregular basis.  I turned my radio to Fort Worth & Western's channel and heard the passenger train out of Grapevine approaching the UP diamond in Haltom City.  At the same time a BNSF hostling crew was talking to the UP Terminal dispatcher to get permission to leave the east end of FWWR Hodge Yard and cross over to UP Choctaw One before backing into BNSF North Yard.

I could see a potential overtaking meet between diesel and steam so I headed that way.  By the time the crew aboard BNSF ES44DC #7479 obtained permission to make their move, the FWWR MTO told them they might as well wait for the "excursion train" to come past them on the yard lead.  By then I was in position to capture this sequence as two locomotives built over 100 years apart shared the space in my viewfinder. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/15 21:03 by kenfl9.

Date: 08/01/15 20:59
Re: Diesel takes a back seat to steam - GVRR 2248
Author: wag216

try 4-6-0. wag216

Date: 08/01/15 21:03
Author: kenfl9

Encouraged by successfully catching this rare meeting, I quickly maneuvered the city streets to the crossing at NE 23rd Street for the next shot of the Grapevine train just after it has crossed the BNSF and UP at Tower 60.  The second shot shows the train passing through the park at the beginning of the Iron Horse Trail at the south end of the Fort Worth Stockyards.  The third and final shot shows Grapevine's ex-ATSF GP7 bringing up the rear of the train as it is about to enter the shed at the Stockyards Station.  Satisfied with the results of this now somewhat rare encounter I headed home to get out of the 100 degree Texas heat.

Date: 08/01/15 21:10
Author: Bull_Ring

Nice pictures, talk about being in the right spot at the right time. Thanks for posting, good to see the #2248 running again.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/01/15 21:12
Author: BNSF-6432

Neat pictures. Not everyday you see a 4-6-0 going around an ES44

Date: 08/01/15 21:33
Author: engine3420

Very good !..thanks for posting.
Chris

Date: 08/01/15 22:02
Author: The_Chief_Way

Is the GP7 required or just along for the ride?
I know its been a feature of that line for some years now.

That is a handsome ten wheeler. Just imagine how much better
she'd look with a coat of black paint.

Date: 08/01/15 23:12
Author: MP4093

Great photos Ken. Excellent observation on your part to determine that the meet would happen, and where to catch it. Good to see "Puffy" out again exercising and playing that nice chime whistle. As to her appearance it's tasteful, no whitewalls, and better than some I've seen. The last time she was all black you could hardly see her lines for all the fire apparatus SP hung on it. There is a nice photo of SP 2248 with all the fire equipment operating on page 58 of TRAINS magazine's new 75th anniversary book " Great American Railroad Stories" with a story about the Norden fire train on Donner Pass.

Date: 08/02/15 02:19
Author: andersonb109

"Tasteful." Ok lets see. Gaudy paint. Flags on the front. Safety vests in the cab. And "Puffy." Ok to have a name but really?  When I rode it back in the 90's it looked like a real locomotive.

Date: 08/02/15 06:24
Author: U-3-b

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
 "Tasteful." Ok lets see. Gaudy paint. Flags on the front. Safety vests in the cab. And "Puffy." Ok to have a name but really?  When I rode it back in  the 90's it looked like a real locomotive.

While I totally and completely agree with you, the people who are riding this train are not rail fans and I guess the owners did they because they think it will being in more people (revenue).  I would prefer it to be black and look like a working engine and not a toy, but it is not my railroad or my engine.  

Steve

Date: 08/02/15 08:05
Author: BAB

Why not just enjoy the fact its still here possibly not to everyones taste as it seem that not all are pleased just to see a steamer on the tracks running.
> andersonb109 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>  "Tasteful." Ok lets see. Gaudy paint. Flags on
> the front. Safety vests in the cab. And "Puffy."
> Ok to have a name but really?  When I rode it
> back in  the 90's it looked like a real
> locomotive.
>
> While I totally and completely agree with you, the
> people who are riding this train are not rail fans
> and I guess the owners did they because they think
> it will being in more people (revenue).  I would
> prefer it to be black and look like a working
> engine and not a toy, but it is not my railroad or
> my engine.  
>
> Steve

Date: 08/02/15 09:25
Author: MP4093

andersonb109 Wrote:
> "Tasteful." Ok lets see. Gaudy paint. Flags on the
> front. Safety vests in the cab. And "Puffy." Ok to
> have a name but really?  When I rode it back in
> the 90's it looked like a real locomotive.

You rode it in the 90's? Was that the 1890's when she was built? This loco was built in an era when stripes, color and brass were the norm, basic dip black was not applied until later it's career. Gaudy paint? It's not bright blue, red, yellow or green as Texas State RR and some others painted theirs. Flags can be removed, not part of the paint job. Safety vests? Also removable, but required to operate in the current environment, not part of the paint scheme.  At least it dosen't have a fake diamond stack which it did have for a time while on the SP. And "Puffy", well OK that's a little cutesy, but the point is it still runs, and Ken did a great job of documenting the meet between old and new motive power.

Date: 08/02/15 10:13
Author: tomstp

2248 has had that paint scheme every since FWWR bought it.  Only the lettering on the side of the tender is different.  It is a shame they don't run it more than they do.  I have riidden many miles in that old steamer and it was fun except for the whistle being so doggone close to the cab.  You just had to cover your ears when it was blown.

Date: 08/04/15 12:13
Author: weather

Outstanding series, always enjoy when someone conjours up a possible shot that if it comes to frution is one you rarely see.  Nice Job!  Couldn't have been done better!

Date: 08/04/15 13:04
Author: NKPBernet

Thanks for sharing your photo's!
################################

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
> Is the GP7 required or just along for the ride?
> I know its been a feature of that line for some
> years now.

Should read this thread:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,3729211,page=1

Quote from the thread:
texaswestern70mac Wrote:
> unfortunately jack, its indeed the 2248.  they
> not only did it once but TWICE. instead of having
> new cylinders milled like they were supposed to
> the did a crappy welding job. i heard from troy
> minnick the cylinders are too small for the bores
> (they were replacements after the ruined the
> originals) and casues tons of firing issues. 
> hence it hasnt run w/o diesel assistance in almost
> 10 years.  they city of grapevine ruined a
> national teasure

Good grief! The poor thing surely has had a hard life after her fire fighting service days on the SP, hasn't she?

-Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/15 13:05 by dbesade.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0544 seconds