Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Steam & Excursion > All The Action Seen From The Railbus As It Enters The Yard!

Date: 08/03/15 03:37
All The Action Seen From The Railbus As It Enters The Yard!
Author: LoggerHogger

The California Western railroad of Willits, California is known for many things, chief among them are the fleet of gas powered railbusses affectionately known as "Skunks".  The line is also well known for it's connection at Willits with the Northwestern Pacific Railroad that connected to the rest of the world in the Bay Area south of the C-W.

In this view taken in May 1945 C-W Skunk M-100 is just arriving at the Willits yard from her trip over the grades from Ft. Bragg on the Coast.  As she arrives in town she is greeted by the activity of the NWP in the Willits yard.  The operation of M-100 has stopped to allow the yard action to clear long enough for him to proceed on his way. 

Such was shortline railroading in the 1940's.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/15 03:43 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 08/03/15 06:43
Re: All The Action Seen From The Railbus As It Enters The Yard!
Author: refarkas

So many of these posts are like mini-vacations to the past. Thank you for posting this.
Bob

Date: 08/03/15 07:18
Author: Southern3205

Mr. Martin,

Every time I see some of your pics I can't help but to wonder, since my misses and I are "regressing" to only having classic (early fifties) vehicles, I can't help but to wonder, what sort of other classic (railroad) equipment could those vehicles have been around?

Southern 3205

Date: 08/03/15 07:54
Author: train671

I had the opportunity to ride one of the original "Skunks" from Ft. Bragg to Willits and back.  It was very enjoyable and we stopped by a bridge and I got
a picture of our "Skunk" but unfortunately that pic has disappeared.  I don't think that opportunity lasted much later after I rode it.  I believe that vehicle
is now at the Niles Canyon Railroad but not operating.  Thanks for posting this very unique operation.

Date: 08/03/15 08:34
Author: YG

Nice photo!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com 

Date: 08/03/15 09:02
Author: LarryDoyle

Switch is wrong.

Date: 08/03/15 10:51
Author: skstone

Not sure that it is.  Looking at the smoke trail, it could be a reverse move.

Date: 08/03/15 16:14
Author: sp5623

train671 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I
> believe that vehicle
> is now at the Niles Canyon Railroad but not
> operating.

The motor car in Niles Canyon is the M200 and is in operation condition although it has not been used recently..

Howard

Date: 08/04/15 06:58
Author: BAB

Very true and the fellow with his back to the switch could be going to throw the next one so the waiting unit can follow the engine down the track.
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not sure that it is.  Looking at the smoke trail,
> it could be a reverse move.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0368 seconds