Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Steam & Excursion > Benefit

Date: 08/27/15 08:24
Benefit
Author: m1bprr

One of the benefits of having 765 occupying a stall in Steamtown's roundhouse is she's in GTW 6039's spot which puts 6039 outside. This is one impressive locomotive in my opinion.
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 08/27/15 10:30
Re: Benefit
Author: elu34ch

Whats the status of 6039?

Date: 08/27/15 10:47
Author: HotWater

elu34ch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whats the status of 6039?

Status? Just another display locomotive at Steamtown, and it isn't even lettered.

Date: 08/27/15 13:13
Author: Frisco1522

Always like front hung Elesco FWH.

Date: 08/27/15 16:25
Author: wcamp1472

Last I had looked, 6039 suffers from multiple cracks in the cylinder casting, particularly the fireman's side.
The alternating piston thrusts, of heavy freight service,  have cracked the casting in multiple places.
The cracks have been welded-up, repeatedly.

The method of welding seems to have been primitive, patchwork-like, with subsequent cracks right through the weld repairs, as if too brittle, or the "reciprocating forces" are stronger than the weld repairs. 
The damage, and re-welds, is clearly visible, especially now, that it's outside.

To me, the remedy is an all new cylinder/saddle casting, designed particularly to be much stronger in supporting the internal bushings, etc.  To restore the 6039 to runnable condition, there are so many steps towards reaching that goal ---- many experienced steam-heads can list ALL the areas , including the boiler exams and certifications (repairs?), that would have to be thoroughly examined, listed, priced and 'engineered'.

All of that analytic stuff, then gets refined down to dollars per major areas of work, and totaled, for the final cost figure, add in 50% to 100%,  for over-runs and materials costs increases.

I suspect that there are better-condition candidates to consider for restoration, ahead of 6039 

Wes C.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/15 19:05 by wcamp1472.

Date: 08/27/15 19:45
Author: burlingtonjohn

20 Aug 15 at Steamtown. Having seen it in the roundhouse the day before, I didn't put 2 and 2 together as to why it had been moved outside.

Regards.
Burlington John

Date: 08/27/15 22:06
Author: kurt765

HotWater Wrote:
> elu34ch Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Whats the status of 6039?
>
> Status? Just another display locomotive at
> Steamtown, and it isn't even lettered.

Is that meant to be a criticism? Looks freshly painted, which maybe also means they haven't gotten around to lettering it yet. I would think the all black would go on first, and then the lettering, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Date: 08/28/15 14:28
Author: PhillipJohnson

I was there three years ago, and this engine had just been painted then.  I would suspect the still shiny paint is due to the fact it has been kept in the roundhouse ever since being repainted.

Date: 08/28/15 14:55
Author: HotWater

PhillipJohnson Wrote:
> I was there three years ago, and this engine had
> just been painted then.  I would suspect the
> still shiny paint is due to the fact it has been
> kept in the roundhouse ever since being repainted.

OK, so "freshly painted" three years ago, and STILL not lettered yet?????

Date: 08/28/15 15:12
Author: wcamp1472

DIESELTOWN...

"Your tax dollars at work...."
Great salaries, though!

Would be interesting to do a FOIA (Freedom Of Information Act) request about the annual budgeting & expenditures at DIESELTOWN, the salaries and operations costs, and the preservation, steam loco up-keep costs..... Results could be interesting.  Would be a GREAT story for the local reporters to dig in to.

Wes C.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/15 15:44 by wcamp1472.

Date: 08/30/15 11:23
Author: kurt765

It would be a great story to see how our chronically underfunded National Park Service is spending their money.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.052 seconds